Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Something To Watch Out For, 900 & 1100 Engines

I recently picked up an STX 1100 that had a fried stator. I bought a used stator on Ebay. When I went to switch them, I discovered that the stator on the engine had a bunch of water in it, which may have led to it's failure.

The stator covers on the 900 and 1100 engines have cooling water ports. I tried blowing through the ports on the replacement stator and found that it was plugged. I couldn't blow through it with compressed air. Took it apart and found a bunch of sand. I went back to the original stator and tried to blow through the cooling ports and they were plugged, too. I suspect that the outlet fitting was plugged and water pressure from the pump blew the O-ring seal, filling the stator with water. The wiring harness was burned, so I don't really know if the harness was pinched or rubbed on something, of if the stator actually shorted out due to water.

Anyway, if you have a 900 or 1100 engine in your 'Ski, be aware that the stator is water cooled and that the fittings can get plugged easily. A strainer on the water inlet line would be a good idea, or you could replace the elbow fittings with straight fittings.. If you are considering purchasing one of these, you might pull one of the cooling lines and blowing through it to check for blockage.

This does not apply to 750s or 1200s.

Thanks for the info Steve. While I had my engine out (STX900) cleaning the salt out of the water chambers I did blow through the cooling lines to the stator and had good air flow. I am in the process of installing a water strainer and ball valve in the water input line to help keep the cooling system clean.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I recently picked up an STX 1100 that had a fried stator. I bought a used stator on Ebay. When I went to switch them, I discovered that the stator on the engine had a bunch of water in it, which may have led to it's failure.

The stator covers on the 900 and 1100 engines have cooling water ports. I tried blowing through the ports on the replacement stator and found that it was plugged. I couldn't blow through it with compressed air. Took it apart and found a bunch of sand. I went back to the original stator and tried to blow through the cooling ports and they were plugged, too. I suspect that the outlet fitting was plugged and water pressure from the pump blew the O-ring seal, filling the stator with water. The wiring harness was burned, so I don't really know if the harness was pinched or rubbed on something, of if the stator actually shorted out due to water.

Anyway, if you have a 900 or 1100 engine in your 'Ski, be aware that the stator is water cooled and that the fittings can get plugged easily. A strainer on the water inlet line would be a good idea, or you could replace the elbow fittings with straight fittings.. If you are considering purchasing one of these, you might pull one of the cooling lines and blowing through it to check for blockage.

This does not apply to 750s or 1200s.
    Anyway you can post some kind of How-To or pictures of what needs to be done. I just picked up a 05 STX-900 today with 90hrs on it.

+1
    I'll try to post some pics tonight. After looking at it again, I don't think leaking O-rings were responsible for the water in the stator cover, must have been submerged. Guess they got it running and cleaned out the crankcase, but not the stator housing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00597.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	234951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00598.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	234952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00600.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	234953
    I installed a inlet water filter screen and ball shutoff valve on my 2000 STX900 this winter.

The ball valve is there should I ever need a tow. Turn the valve to off and no water will enter the engine while in tow. The strainer is a Groco 500 which has 1/2" port size (same as the inlet water hose size in the ski). Added 2 1/2" pipe to hose nylon adapters and 1 1/2" nylon coupler to connect the ball valve to the Groco strainer. Parts were purchased locally at West Marine. The ball valve was purchased at Lowes. The strainer is mounted on the port side of the ski. Pictures attached. I used SS bolts, nuts and washers also purchased at Lowes.

I took the ski down to the boat ramp to check for leaks. The ski remained on the trailer during the test. I can't believe the amount to crap that was in the filter after just a few minutes of engine running.
    Hope this helps you.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoyRXP View Post
    Anyway you can post some kind of How-To or pictures of what needs to be done. I just picked up a 05 STX-900 today with 90hrs on it.

That should come stock on them great pics

+1
    Here are some pics of the stator housing cooling chamber.

Plan to replace the O-rings if you remove the cover. You should be able to blow through the hoses to test it. If you can't blow through it, it needs to come off.

Steve,

Does a standard O ring fit the middle one or a moulded to shape Kawasaki original required?
    If you have the specs on the 2 orings that would be great

+1
    The inside O-ring is special. Kawasaki O-rings, 1100 Stator Cooler Cover, # 92055-1284 and # 92055-3739

While you've got it apart, I'd recommend replacing the two bearings on the oil pump drive. I'd buy off-the-shelf bearings and save a bunch of money: 6901 2RS

thanks Steve , bearing can stay for now, not pulling the stator cover off

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information