Thread: sl750 project. South Africa
01-17-2011, 03:39 AM #1
sl750 project. South Africa
I bought the ski from an ad on the internet on 28 January 2010.
It was complete and on a trailer, but with a broken piston.
The engine is (aledgedly) a 1050.
The ski stood in the sun at the Vaal river for most of its life, so it had quite a bit of damage from the sun. The stickers were faded and the paint on the top section were dried out. All the coloured plastic bits were discolored badly.
The trailer also were in a bad state with a lot of rust and seized weel bearings.
01-17-2011, 03:48 AM #2
This will be an interesting ski, Where are the engine pics??
01-17-2011, 04:06 AM #3
First thing i had to do was to get the trailer roadworthy, as i was going to take the ski to Tzaneen, where my parent live, wich is 400 kilometers away from Johannesburg.
I stripped everything of the trailer, removed the paint and rust and repainted the whole thing in a gunmetal colour. I also teplaced the wheel bearings and redid the wiring. The felt strips between the trailer and skis were also replaced. Unfortunately i also had to stick on those yellow reflection tape, as it is requiered by law in S.A.
I reconned the whole trailer in two days time.
All that still needs to be done on that is New wheels and a new rachet strap.,
Apart from that the trailer looks like a new one.
01-17-2011, 04:29 AM #4
01-17-2011, 04:37 AM #5
This will be an interesting ski, Where are the engine pics?"
I only had the engine with me for two days before i sended it of to get repaired, and somehow i was stupid enough not to take a single photo of the engine.
AS soon as i get the ski back i'll post some engine picks.
01-17-2011, 04:58 AM #6
Once the ski was at my parents place i had only one weekend every second month to work on the ski.
Over the next few months i stripped the ski bare and got it ready for the paintshop.
The hardest part of it all was removing the very brittle decalls from the sides of the ski. I used boiling hot water and a tweezer to peel of the stickers.
It took a while but i eventualy ended up with a blank canvas.
01-17-2011, 05:32 AM #7
I finaly took the ski in for spraypainting in middle November 2010.
After much debate in the family, i desided on this yellow colour for the top section of the ski. ( I found the colour on a kichen counter from one of the restaurans we recently demolished at work).
I left the hull section original, as it isnt looking too bad, and i dont think automotive paint would stay on, because of the constant contact with water.
I also didnt respray the hood and steering section, as the glitter covered black paint was in not too bad shape. I removed all the bright decalls from them and gave the hood and steering section a few coats of clearcoat paint to get it to look like new again.
The nose moulding., cornerstrips and rear rubrail was painted black. The rubrails on the sides are broken and should still be replaced.
Reasembling the polaris was the best part of the project so far and i am very happy with the end result.
The engine should be in and running by the end of January (ill keep you poster).
I still need to get hold of black rubrails and aquaturf, as well as design new decalls before i could take the ski for its seaworthy test.
01-17-2011, 07:02 AM #8
There's something about orange/black that just works......
01-17-2011, 01:32 PM #9
- Join Date
- Jul 2007
- near Toronto, Canada
What did you do with the jet pump? New bearings and seals?
Impeller blades in good condition? Clearance to the wear ring?
Stator vanes also good?
Drive shaft splines good? Also visually check splines inside impeller and PTO coupler.
Think about the alignment of the engine to the jet pump. Sometimes after re-installing the engine ends up sitting a little different on its mounts so it affects the drive shaft alignment. And sometimes the Polaris factory wasn't picky about the alignment to begin with.
Did you also put new seals in the through-hull bearing. Was the self-lubricating bearing/bushing inside in good shape? Not worn or oval?
Make sure the drive shaft doesn't have grooves worn where the through-hull seal lips ride on the shaft. If it has become grooved you can shift the lip locations by shortening the heavy rubber 'hose' piece that holds the bearing in position.
Last edited by K447; 02-25-2011 at 02:47 PM.
01-17-2011, 05:53 PM #10
- Join Date
- Oct 2006
- Cleveland OH
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By esp_3000 in forum Yamaha Open DiscussionReplies: 7Last Post: 12-05-2012, 04:08 AM
By shawn alladio in forum High Performance Watercraft SafetyReplies: 0Last Post: 08-11-2008, 09:15 PM
By Vesterbye in forum Polaris ProjectsReplies: 12Last Post: 05-09-2008, 09:57 AM
By shawn alladio in forum High Performance Watercraft SafetyReplies: 17Last Post: 03-16-2008, 03:17 PM
By Dashing Duncan in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 88Last Post: 02-06-2008, 12:19 AM