+1

Gunwhale Joint Replacement Questions. (aka Trim Pieces)

Hey Guys -

I picked up an 08 SHO this week, and the Previous Owner stored it on a soft dock. This caused the gunwhale trim to get a bit scratched up. I want to replace gunwhale trim all the way around, and I have a few questons about the process. I priced out the parts and it seems fairly inexpensive to do. However I do have some questions on removal and installation of the new parts.

The Bow Gunwhale Joints are held in with bolts. It looks like I need to remove the white front storage liner to get at one of the bolts. If this is the case, it appears to be riveted in. How do I remove and replace this liner?

The Stern Joints seem to be held in place with blind rivets. How does one take out the old rivets, and do I need to pick up a rivet tool to replace these?

Thanks for your help,

Corey

The trim on the front is just held in with a couple of bolts, no rivets. I have replaced my left one twice. Look closer and you will find it. The rear is rivets, I would just drill them out. A pop rivet tool can be picket up a Harbor Freight among ther numerous stores.

+1
    Right, the front has a few lower bolts and then one upper bolt. I did not see how to get to the back side of the upper bolt without removing the storage liner (this part is riveted in). I saw the $20 price for those upper bolts and did not want to lose them into the bottom of the hull.

Are you saying I can simply unscrew the upper bolt and the inside part of the bolt stays attached to the hull?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    Right, the front has a few lower bolts and then one upper bolt. I did not see how to get to the back side of the upper bolt without removing the storage liner (this part is riveted in). I saw the $20 price for those upper bolts and did not want to lose them into the bottom of the hull.

Are you saying I can simply unscrew the upper bolt and the inside part of the bolt stays attached to the hull?

Thanks.
    Yes, there is a fitting attached to the hull and the upper bolt you see simply screws into that.
    If you still have trouble with it I will try to remember to get a picture posted.
    It really is like a 5 minute job tops.

+1
    the ski isn'tClick image for larger version. 

Name:	galleryimage.php.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	226498 pretty, but you can see where the bolt attaches under trim

+1
    Ok, I understand now. Thanks for your help guys.

+1
    I had to remove the rear bumpers when changing my turf & they are kind of a PITA to reattach because the rivets are recessed in the bumpers. I have a pop rivet tool from harbor freight with multiple tips for different sized rivets, & it was necessary to grind down the OD of the tip so it would fit into the recessed hole.

It's not necessary to remove parts 25 & 27, but you won't be able to remove the back of the drilled out rivets that attach the bumper. I just pushed them until they fell inside to make room for the new rivet.

You'll also want to heat up the rub rail before trying to remove it. The double sided adhesive tape that holds it to the deck is strong stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 16 14.36.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	226531  

+1
    Excellent info on this board. Again, thanks alot guys.

Thread Information