Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1997 XP Starter??

I have a 97 XP that I bought used. The starter needs to be replaced, I jumped straight from a car battery(engine off) to the starter ground & positive post. The starter just clunks, like it throws out, but doesn't have the power to turn the 800 engine with the plugs in. It turns the engine fine with the plugs out(no load). I pulled the starter & it was an ebay low $$ starter. It's probably not even the "high torque" model. The bendix had 8 teeth on the starter i removed. I have read that the OEM stock starter had 9 teeth on the bendix. When I purchase a starter, can I use 8 tooth or 9 tooth? I'm leaning on returning it to stock starter with the 9 tooth bendix.

Thanks & sorry if this is a noob question.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    If your mechanically inclined you can just take the starter apart and clean it and then replace the brushes in it. About $45 bucks and that starter will be good as new. I rebuilt a few 787 starters. 9 times out of 10 its the brushes they wear out and don't make good contact with the armature and therefore it won't turn your engine over.

+1
    the "ebay" starters are cheap, made in china parts, you get what you pay for. i would not waste any time rebuilding. ( not even sure if you could).

i have both used OE, and good new aftermarket ( from hot prods) in stock here.

please email, or call if i can help.

Thanks for the info. The starter that I removed looks like a cheapo & I don't think I want to rebuild it. I may take you up on the used OE starter offer. Does anyone know about the 8 tooth versus 9 tooth bendix? Did the OE starter have a 9 tooth? I would rather go back to what was OE for the 97 XP.

Thanks

i bought a starter on e-bay for 56 bucks (44 + 12 shipping), most likely a cheap o, but works great brand new and 1 year warranty. I called them they are a US company and they will replace it for 1 year. I would buy another one. just my 2 cents.
    (My ski didn't have the original starter). Good luck

+1
    Go with Zigler, he's got a good rep.
    SHOOTER

+1
    I would go with a good used OEM starter anyday over a aftermarket.

The 8 tooth is the best starter for a 800.

8 or 9 tooth starter will work in the 787. I have never been able to jump my 787 ski from the truck with jumper cables. As soon as I put a good battery in the ski, it fired right up.

Thanks for all of the replies.
    Well, I took the starter apart & replaced the brushes, but that was not the problem. The new brushed starter did the same thing. It ended up being a bad groud cable. The 97 XP cable runs from the starter directly to the negative post. It had high resistance under load. I replaced the ground cable & it fired right up & cranks strong.

+1
    Dan I am surprised you didn't tell Matt what you told me years ago. The 97 XP and the XPLs have a bad habbit of bad grounds. You may want to run a second ground just to be safe. I did this after Dan told me about it years ago. Saves a lot of trouble.
    Also with that ski, make sure you have a damn good battery too.
    Have fun, thats an awesome ski.
    SHOOTER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information