waterbox carbon build up?

Does the waterbox ever need to be cleaned out? Meaning, the oil & carbon build up lining the walls of the interior of the waterbox? I am just going through my newly purchased 1996 slx 900, removed & cleaned the gas tank, replaced water separator filter, replacing the grey Tempo fuel lines, replaced the vinyl on the seat, cleaning out the grease and gunk in the interior bottom of the hull, wiping away all the excess grease, tightening the hose fittings, etc. (I like my ski's to be clean) When I pulled the water box to get under it for cleaning it is very oil & carbon dirty, How would you go about fully cleaning it out, would it make any difference in engine operation or performance?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    No need to clean it out, other than preferring a clean waterbox.

It is normal for the water inside the waterbox to be somewhat nasty. The actual oil+carbon coating on the waterbox inside surfaces should just be a film, no actual buildup of thickness.

I clean mine by sloshing some Simple Green degreaser/cleaner around inside, then rinsing it well. I only do this to make it less messy to handle while it is out of the hull.

Otherwise, there isn't much maintenance for the waterbox, other than checking the hoses and clamps from time to time.

Thank you for your reply! I have read hundreds of threads on this Forum, over the last 3 months since I have discovered the forum, many before joining and I give Particular thank you to K447 for sharing your knowledge, and consistantly helping, unplifting, & encourging others with your positive and thoughtful & insightful information! I hope you still find time to get out and ride! I of course tip my hat to the other forum members who have helped me with my questions.

I own 6 pwc's (call me crazy) Two 1997 Tigersshark 1000 Monte Carlo's, one 1995 Tigershark 640 Daytona, 1993 Polaris SL 650, 1995 Seadoo XP 720, 1993 Seadoo spx 580.

And now I have purchased two more within the last month! For winter projects. One a 1998 Polaris SLXH 1050, One a 1996 Polaris SL 900. Both of these I purchased cheap, but now they require work.
    I have never seen build up in all my other pwc's water box, until cleaning and going through this sl 900. This water box literally had
    1/8th" of carbon & Oil build up, just that I could see, in the pipes, I scraped out nearly one cup full of oily black carbon gunk. The machine started fine when I purchased it, but now I wonder if I should assume that there is engine work in the near future, or, has it just been running rich?

I am not that much of a clean freak that I clean out my muffler, but in this case is was not just an oily film! So yesterday I dumped some good solvent cleaner degreaser in, scrubbed it good, and it now looks clean again! Not that I would disregard your experience, I will likely not do it again!

Thanks again!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ftr0432 View Post
    ...This water box literally had 1/8th" of carbon & Oil build up, just that I could see, in the pipes, I scraped out nearly one cup full of oily black carbon gunk.

The machine started fine when I purchased it, but now I wonder if I should assume that there is engine work in the near future, or, has it just been running rich? ...
    Could be too rich a fuel mixture, or too much oil, or the wrong oil, mis-firing on one or more cylinders, or all of the above.

Do re-check compression, ignition timing, and of course make sure the carbs are internally clean and properly adjusted. While you have the carbs apart check the jetting sizes against the factory specifications.

Make sure you are running the correct spark plugs, and check the ignition wires and coils for correct resistance.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ftr0432 View Post
    I own 6 pwc's (call me crazy) Two 1997 Tigersshark 1000 Monte Carlo's, one 1995 Tigershark 640 Daytona, 1993 Polaris SL 650, 1995 Seadoo XP 720, 1993 Seadoo spx 580.

And now I have purchased two more within the last month! For winter projects. One a 1998 Polaris SLXH 1050, One a 1996 Polaris SL 900. Both of these I purchased cheap, but now they require work.
    Nobody here will call you crazy, trust me

Thread Information