Newbie needs advice

Hey all,
    New to the site and loving it. I'm in a market for a jetski (1st one). Long story shot found a good deal on a 04 rxp with 96 hrs. Now my question is how reliable are these with this many hrs? Some of my friends who own skis tell me they tend to need a supercharger rebuild after 100hrs is this true? Also what are the common problems with this year and model?

All help greatly appreciated and see you on the water

Ps: the ski is 4k with double trailer. I think I can snatch it up for about 3.5k though

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk. Check out the sticky's in the FAQ section lots of good info. IMO 4K is a little steep for a 04 depending on location.

I'm going to check out the ski this weekend. Is there anything I should be on a lookout for? Things that would point that the ski has been abused or nearing the end of it's life?

+1
    4K with a doubble trailer around my area is a GREAT deal! With out riding the ski I would first make sure it fires up, idles and revs.... After that I would pull the intake hose and make suee the superchargerwheel doesn't not spin freely... After that check the hull for chips or exposed fiberglass.... Still good? Check the coolant level. Check the oil to make sure its not milky.....also check the pump/wear ring/impeller. If everything looks good go for it... A double trailer is worth 600 at least. So of you pocket it up for 3500 your in great shape.... 04/05 rxpst bring 4500 around me all the time....also yes the supercharger is due for a rebuild at 100hrs....

+1
    The number one thing that comes to my mind is checking that supercharger for slip as suggested above. Very common problem with these machines was the OEM ceramic clutch washers breaking in the charger and ruining the engines. Be careful because its likely the engine will still start and run but not for long. Pull the intake hose loose from the charger to see if the wheel turns freely by hand. Stick your fingers up into the charger intake to check. If it turns easy its not good....., also ask if it has ever had the washers changed and if they say yes ask for proof. Also at 96 hours the charger is ready for a full rebuild. If you do buy the ski just PM Jerry (Green Hulk) for info on the rebuild, he is best in the business for the service. Factor in $400.00 to $500.00 more for parts and labor, most of which is in parts.

+1

PS Don't stick your fingers in the intake side of the charger while it's running...lol

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    4k is a good deal imo, aren't all the superchargers due at 100hrs?

+1
    Stock ski should have full rebuild at 100 hrs, washers at 50, and new washers imediately if it has stock OEM ceramic washers. Its a good idea to check slip atleast every 20-25 hours. Higher boost chargers require checking and adjusting slip more often as well.

You asked the question about common problems:

1. Ceramic SC washers; if still there, change them out immediately!
    2. Weak exhaust valves; many people on this board recommend replacing them with new-style valves as a preventative measure
    3. Weak flywheel bolts; also considered a preventative measure to replace these.

Less common problems:

1. Hull delamination; check out lower hull for cracking and signs of delam.
    2. Weak timing chains; if replacing flywheel bolts, replace the chain too.

Thread Information