Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08/09 FX HO differences?

I am aware that the 08 has the 1052cc motor. The 09's and newer have the bigger 1812cc motor and I believe that is the year they came out with cruise assist. Can any one tell me if there is any hull or other differences between 08 and 09?

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    I believe the 09 is a nano hull while the 08 was fiberglass. Double check on that

08's have the Nano hull. I wouldn't think Yamaha would change the hull design in 09? With motorcycles Yamaha doesn't change a model year for at least 5 years. Usually just color schemes and minor additions.The 09 FX HO got the new motor. I wonder if they changed the hull design? Anyone know?

+1
    They are two completely different skis. The 2009 HO is the n/a 1800cc engine and the 2008 HO is the n/a 1052 engine. Both are nanoxcel hull and deck (The 2007 was SMC). 2008 is also dry slump and the 2009 is wet slump. The body of the skis are also very different. I have ridden both and the are completely different skis, apples to oranges.

In the future, when comparing two Yamaha models, just go to their website and you can compare them side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    They are two completely different skis. The 2009 HO is the n/a 1800cc engine and the 2008 HO is the n/a 1052 engine. Both are nanoxcel hull and deck (The 2007 was SMC). 2008 is also dry slump and the 2009 is wet slump. The body of the skis are also very different. I have ridden both and the are completely different skis, apples to oranges.

In the future, when comparing two Yamaha models, just go to their website and you can compare them side by side.
    Thanks for your reply. I did check out the Yamaha site and I cant get a side by side comparision on the fx ho for 08. The 9/10/11's hulls all look identical.You say you rode both(08&09) . Tell me what you think is the more stable ,drier ride. I am not looking for diffferences in speed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffz1 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I did check out the Yamaha site and I cant get a side by side comparision on the fx ho for 08. The 9/10/11's hulls all look identical.You say you rode both(08&09) . Tell me what you think is the more stable ,drier ride. I am not looking for diffferences in speed.
    Both are pretty stable skis in general but the extra power of the 09 is obviously a nice plus. The deep V hull shape is great for cutting through waves but I personally prefer the stability and agility of my FZR

I have a 09 FXHO cruiser

Like I stated I have a 09 FXHO Cruiser. I love the power and quick response from the throttle. It is a very big machine compared to the competitors. You ride very high on the machine. It says it is a three seater but not three big people. Two people fit comfortable. The 09 also has the no wake mode. This allows the driver to hit a button and the ski holds a steady no wake speed. This is good if you are in an area that is a long no wake zone. The pop up cleats are also great when tying up around the dock. Hope this helps

thanks for replies! 09fxhocruiser,i was reading your old thread about hot start problems.You ever get that sorted out?

George Town, Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
    What Mods Do You Have done to your craft?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffz1 View Post
    08's have the Nano hull. I wouldn't think Yamaha would change the hull design in 09? With motorcycles Yamaha doesn't change a model year for at least 5 years. Usually just color schemes and minor additions.The 09 FX HO got the new motor. I wonder if they changed the hull design? Anyone know?
    I now own a 2011 FXSHO. My previous ski (sold 1 month ago) was a 2008 FXHO Cruiser. Ignoring the difference in power whichis obvious there is a significant difference in the hull design and handling characteristics of these craft.

The 2009 to 2011 have a different shaped top deck, a different hull shape around the intake grate, a different ride plate and jet nozzle. The later models tend to sit higher in the water when on the plane as compared to an 08 which makes them feel more slippery on the water. But the changes to the underside of the hull seem to provide the 09s and later a better and more consistent rough water hook up. They don't have the tendency to "break free" as much as the 08 does when travelling at speed.

However, in general the 08 seemed to be a little more stable in choppy water. Just my opinion. Maybe that is because it seems to run flatter with an increased wetted surface area.

The biggest difference for me is the flex in the top deck of the 2 skis that are supposed to be made of the nano material.

Push down hard on the rear deck of the 08 and do the same on the 09. See which one flexes the most!!

Also try the knock test. Just knock on the top deck at different parts of the skis and see which produces a more definitive thud when you hit it.

It is just my opinion but the top deck on the 08 seems to be thicker with less flex than the later models. My 2011 seems flimsy by comparison.

Whether that makes a difference or not only time will tell. But a friend of mine has an 09 FXHO and has ruptured the top deck along the gunwhale on the right hand side. Seems the nano was flexing too much when he was wave jumping and just gave way.

One thing that is undisputed though is the fuel economy of the 2008 with the 1050cc MR1 motor is unprecendented and the reliability is bullet proof!!

Just my opinion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information