Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New guy! Looking to buy a ski.

Hey guys how are you all doing, been reading this forum for the last month decided to join as i am in the market for a ski. Lots of good info here!

I have been reading many articles on what to look at when going to see a ski, so i have been asking a lot questions. I don't think many sellers like this kind of buyer lol. Most of the time i get a lot of attitude from the sellers, and they rarely answer all my qs. Im guessing these are the ppl that just want to dump it quick because it has problems?

Many times when i ask if the jet pump oil was changed they don't reply to that, im starting to think if some of these sellers even know its supposed to be changed?

Im looking for a 95-96 xp, preferably the 96 or a 97 spx. Im located in hamilton, ontario. Just found out theres a awesome seadoo shop in town called Baker performance works! I would like some advice on any additional things i should ask or look at when i see a ski, that you have learned from passed experience?

Thanks.

+1
    Any specific reason you are looking for a 96 or 97? Spend the extra money and get a 4-Stroke. 04 and up RXP. IMO!! I believe you will be happier. Starts easier, easier to work on, less of a headache. Add fuel and ride. Incredible low end torque for the SC engines and a smile on your face you can't beat. Simpler I guess you could say from my experiences..... JMO!!

+1
    Your budget dictates what you are willing to spend, and thus on what you are willing to spend on. I have been on an XP and would suggest that an RXP is a far better boat. JMHO too

Yea i have a budget lol.. I wish i could afford the newer skis not yet anyway. RXP in my area are like 6000 and up. Seadoos in canada are pricey i dunno why?

Average price for a mint 96 xp here is 3000. Cannot get anything decent here for under 2gs.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Calogero View Post
    ...I'm looking for a 95-96 XP, preferably the 96 or a 97 SPX. I'm located in Hamilton, Ontario.

... Seadoo shop in town called Baker Performance Works!...
    Welcome to the Hulk

Who would be doing the maintenance and repair on the machine? Yourself, or the shop?

Will you be doing the pre-purchase inspections yourself?

+1
    Yea i have a budget lol.. I wish i could afford the newer skis not yet anyway. RXP in my area are like 6000 and up. Seadoos in canada are pricey i dunno why?

Average price for a mint 96 xp here is 3000. Cannot get anything decent here for under 2gs.

That's high. But you could have just as much fun on a 96 XP as an 06 RXP for a fraction of the money.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

Who would be doing the maintenance and repair on the machine? Yourself, or the shop?

Will you be doing the pre-purchase inspections yourself?

I plan on bringing it to Baker performance in Hamilton, for yearly maintenance.. Pre inspections i plan on doing myself.. I have read a lot on what to look for and have gone to look at a few to learn. Have learned a lot so far and seen the different types of sellers out there.

Lots of junk out there man wow. And when you do find a nice one they are more money. I found a mint 2000 GS in St. Catherines for 3500. It has a 717 engine, not sure how these would compare to a XP. I heard the GS are good for about 50mph and the XP(787) 55mph.. I want something that i can have lots of fun when i ride myself but also i need something comfortable when i take my lady friend with me.

My choices are 96 xp, Gs with 717, or GSX with 787.. I do not want the 947 engine, i think the 717 and 787 are more reliable. Do not want a three seater.

+1
    I plan on bringing it to Baker performance in Hamilton, for yearly maintenance.. Pre inspections i plan on doing myself.. I have read a lot on what to look for and have gone to look at a few to learn. Have learned a lot so far and seen the different types of sellers out there.

Lots of junk out there man wow. And when you do find a nice one they are more money. I found a mint 2000 GS in St. Catherines for 3500. It has a 717 engine, not sure how these would compare to a XP. I heard the GS are good for about 50mph and the XP(787) 55mph.. I want something that i can have lots of fun when i ride myself but also i need something comfortable when i take my lady friend with me.

My choices are 96 xp, Gs with 717, or GSX with 787.. I do not want the 947 engine, i think the 717 and 787 are more reliable. Do not want a three seater.
    96 XP is out because you want to ride with a passenger sometimes. The 96 XP hull gets very tipsy with 2 people. So it's between the 717 GS or 787 GSX. I'd get get the 787 GSX more power and features. Very smooth motor too.

Is there any thing in particular i should look for in the GSX, GS platform in terms of common problems?. Like i mentioned i heard the 947 in the GSX had some issues so not looking to get one of those. Just the 787. Is there any particular years that were better than others?

+1
    Is there any thing in particular i should look for in the GSX, GS platform in terms of common problems?. Like i mentioned i heard the 947 in the GSX had some issues so not looking to get one of those. Just the 787. Is there any particular years that were better than others?
    I can't offer you too much help on what to look for other than do a compression check and ask if the drive shaft was greased regularly. I agree the 787 is the most reliable bullet proof engine SeaDoo made. The 787 GSX was only made for 1996 and 1997 the 97 has the nicer red paint over the purple 96.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information