+1

4x4 decision, need advice

Back in the day, early 1990, I had a 1979 Bronco XLT. Restored 6 " lift, all the goodies. Got married and had kids so I had to sell it. I have been wanting to replace it ever since.
    I have found a few good deals on similar trucks but also really liked the older style Broncos too. Since I do not want to drop a ton of money on one of those, I have been considering Jeep Wranglers as well.
    So here is the deal, I can pick up a super clean 79 bronco with all the goodies or a 1998 Saraha with 4" lift, 6 cyl, auto that is very clean?

Not looking to do hardly any rock climbing, maybe a little mudding, mostly beach riding and just looking good.

What do you guys think?

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    jeep all the way !!! unless you want more than 1 person top go with you

+1
    I'm a full size 4x4 guy. I really think it depends on what you wanting to do with it. Right off the rip I just think axle strength and that hands down the bronco pretty much gonna take what ever you throw at it. The jeep engine is definitely reliable. Family the bronco will definitely have more room but the jeep will get you in tighter spots.

I'm bias for the bronco. I'm sure which ever you choose you will be happy with a new 4x4.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Im partial to Jeeps...I think a modded jeep always looked tougher than a modded full size. jmo

+1
    Attachment 226606You know where I stand on 4x4's. But between those 2 I would pick the Jeep.

Kirk, it all depends on your comfort zone with the older technology VS efi. It would be nice to go retro and have the 79 Bronco. They are stout and ya can`t beat the 9" rears. But having to deal with carb and pollution crap of that era, oof even tho the Duraspark ignition is very good.
    is this bronco a 302? 351/400M? 429/460? or something cool like a modular engine?

we have a few 65-66 Bronco`s lifted and done right, here in the neighborhood...

the jeep:
    meh... ok 6 cylinder, but efi/computer controlled, easier to run, that`s about it...

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    I have a Jeep now and I love it. For a 6 cyl. it has a lot of torque. So the Jeep

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    we have a few 65-66 Bronco`s lifted and done right, here in the neighborhood.
    My personel favorite Bronco's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Kirk, it all depends on your comfort zone with the older technology VS efi. It would be nice to go retro and have the 79 Bronco. They are stout and ya can`t beat the 9" rears. But having to deal with carb and pollution crap of that era, oof even tho the Duraspark ignition is very good.
    is this bronco a 302? 351/400M? 429/460? or something cool like a modular engine?
    351/400M

we have a few 65-66 Bronco`s lifted and done right, here in the neighborhood...
    These are my favorites but most I have seen are crazy expensive or basket cases.

the jeep:
    meh... ok 6 cylinder, but efi/computer controlled, easier to run, that`s about it...
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdude35 View Post
    I have a Jeep now and I love it. For a 6 cyl. it has a lot of torque. So the Jeep

Leaning more towards the Jeep. The more I think about the older Broncos the more I am reminded of the repairs needed for a 30+ year old vehicle. I LOVED my old Bronco and would love to have another but I want something to drive, not work on. Our kids are older so it will mostly be me and the wife in this thing anyway.
    She and I talked more about it last night and she even said get the Jeep since we already have had one Bronco. She even said that we could keep an eye open for a project Bronco for later and just have both. What a woman!!
    Anyway, I will let you know what I find and how this pans out.

Thread Information