Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Angry Removing Traction Mat Glue

Been reading what everyone else used to remove the glue under the mats and tried lots of chems. acetone, lacquer thinner,ect. Man Yamaha's got the glue good stuff. 3 hours of spraying Goof off and scraping then scrubbing with scotch brite and its gone .

Well wet sanding should be a piece of cake compared to that. a little more prep work and it will be ready for new paint.

+1
    Yeh its a pain in the arse, I used MEK on the clear adhesive waited til it was soft then used a scraper to remove the gunk. Toluene works well on the contact adhesive using the same method.

Heat gun to get the clear plastic film off first. You then need to use something that isn't pure solvent, otherwise it dries before it has time to soften the glue. 3M adhesive remover works well. I found that PB Blaster worked even better. I know it sounds nuts, and I thought so when I first heard it as well. The oil in it keeps the adhesive from sticking to your scraper too. I then used acetone to clean up the PB Blaster residue.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    I found that PB Blaster worked even better. I know it sounds nuts, and I thought so when I first heard it as well. The oil in it keeps the adhesive from sticking to your scraper too. I then used acetone to clean up the PB Blaster residue.
    I love PB Blaster. That stuff has saved me more times than I can count.

+1
    im glad i read this thread before doing my ht on my ski. pb blaster, then acetone. got it.

Yup. Best combo I found. Get one of those plastic "bondo" scrapers to scrape the gunk off.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    im glad i read this thread before doing my ht on my ski. pb blaster, then acetone. got it.
    +1

+1
    I tried PB Blaster Sticker remover it didn't work as good as goof off. but i didn't use PB Blaster penetrating catalyst it may be the best i really cant say. which ever one you use you still have a messy job to clean up. the scotch brite works good to remove the leftover.

Yeah, it's just the regular PB Blaster penetrating oil (never heard of or tried the sticker remover). But, you have to get the clear plastic film up first, using a heat gun. Then spray the PB Blaster on the glue and let it sit for 5 min. Using a plastic scraper, it will all come up. May have to apply a bit more PB to get the rest of the glue residue off. Then just use the acetone to get the PB residue off, so your new mats will bond well. I didn't have to scrub mine at all. The paint underneath didn't have a scratch in it when I was done.

+1
    If you use PROFESIONAL STRENGTHE GOO OFF in the yellow and red can it will take you about a half hour. Lay 1 layer of paper towells down to the areas with glue, spray the paper towels down and let it soak for 20 min... A bondo scraper will take it all rite off. Ive tried Wd40, gass, accetone, denatured alcohol, nail polish remover, diesel, keroseen, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc... this stuff works the best hands down.. Anyone who's used it will agree...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information