Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97 1100 STX head got hot while running on the hose

Ran it for just a little bit before noticing the head was to hot. My guess is that with the hose connected above the head there was an air lock preventing flow thru the head (hope that is the case and that it does not while on the lake. Seems with the water coming in low it would not). If this is the case can I connect the hose to the cooling water line from the pump for flushing (if I can figure a way to do so)?

+1
    My guess is that you have trash in the cooling passages somewhere.

They are clear, I had it apart and flushed them all. I can also push air thru the cooling line that goes to the head very easily so am confident it is clear.

+1
    something is not right. typically they run very cool on the hose.

That doesent sound good. I will put it in the water tomorrow and idle it on the trailer with the seat off for a bit to see if it gets hot that way. If so I guess I will pull the head back off. Thanks for the input.

Which cylinder is getting hot or is it all of them? These 1100 motors will run hot on cylinder 1 which is the strator cylinder will run hotter then the others. Is it just a lot hotter then normal? If it is running higher then normal and it is only one what does the cylinder wall of the problem cylinder look like? Another problem which is unlikely but is possible is that cylinder could be running a lot richer then the others which will make it hotter as well.

The front cylinder (stator end) runs about 10 F hotter than the other two.

How fast will your ZXi run?

Quote Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
    Which cylinder is getting hot or is it all of them? These 1100 motors will run hot on cylinder 1 which is the strator cylinder will run hotter then the others. Is it just a lot hotter then normal? If it is running higher then normal and it is only one what does the cylinder wall of the problem cylinder look like? Another problem which is unlikely but is possible is that cylinder could be running a lot richer then the others which will make it hotter as well.

That sounds about right then. As long as it is not so hot you can't touch it. If you can keep your hand on it but still notice it is hotter then the other two then you should be fine.

I really haven't had a good chance to run mine since I bought it the summer of 2009 with a blown motor. Put in a new motor in 2010 for the summer and was in the process of getting it tuned when I had truck problems. That caused me to miss a lot of the summer along with personal issues going on in my life. So I only got to ride it a couple of times. I should have it running and tuned with no problems for this summer so I can get a more accurate assessment. It was quick I know that but I never had a chance to ride or get the carbs tuned perfect. So I can only imagine.

+1
    in real word conditions ( in the water) the 1100 will run a little warmer on the front cyl. ( that is why the stator is water cooled). but on the hose, "typcially" the motors run cold.

if you can put your hand on the cyl, and hold it for more than 2 seconds, you are fine.

texan, you have the rich/ temp thing backwards. a "lean" cyl will cause higher temps. fuel cools.

sblklf, do a search here on "piston wash patter" and keep an eye on your piston wash. this will let you know if you have a lean problem. also look closly for signs of detonation.

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    texan, you have the rich/ temp thing backwards. a "lean" cyl will cause higher temps. fuel cools.
    Yes you are correct. Sorry it had been a long day and was half asleep and got it switched...LoL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information