MSX 140 missing on cylinder #3

My 2003 MSX140 starts up and runs fine but it's only running on 2 out of 3 cylinders. The PTO cylinder #3 is dead. The #3 plug has excellent spark and fuel is being delivered. I was told that maybe the crankshaft was bent or twisted so I pulled the engine to verify that that crank index was correct - which it was. TDC was precisly 120 degees apart on each cylinder. I checked fuel PSI -- all good, 23 PSI flow and 33 PSI while blocking the return line. All 3 cylinders have 110 PSI compression. I thought that the injector for #3 cylinder was bad so I swapped #2 and #3 injectors and the problem still existed with no power on cylinder #3. I did a cylinder drop test by pulling the plug wire when idling and the engine runs only on cylinders #1 and #2. Could the EMM be bad? I don't understand why the electronic module would isolate the ignition timing problem to only one cylinder. I must also report the the PWC vibrated terribly when I ran it on the lake a 20 to 40 MPH with this symptom. Woud a bent crank cause this?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

I doubt your problem has anything to do with the crank shaft.

Swap the injectors back to where they came from, if you haven't already. Each injector is tuned/matched to a specific cylinder within the EMM programming.

Test the ignition coils (all three) with an ohm-meter. You can find the test specs via the links in my signature.

The twin ignition coil is simply two single coils packaged together. Otherwise all three coils are electrically the same.

For a test, you can swap the ignition coil connections for the CEN and PTO cylinders. Swap the thin primary wire connections. If the thick spark plug wires are too short to reach when swapped, you can use a couple of spark testers to extend the leads.

Leave the injectors as they were from the factory. BTW, it is important to not over-torque the injector retention bolts, and that the injectors not be pulled to one side by uneven bolt tightening. The injectors don't like being mechanically stressed.

With the CEN and PTO coil connections swapped (primary and secondary), does the problem move to the CEN cylinder, or stay with the PTO? I

If the problem moves with the coil swap, then the PTO coil is the problem.

If the problem stays with the PTO cylinder, then the EMM is likely the culprit.

I put the injectors back in the original cylinders and then swapped coils as you instructed. YOU are RIGHT! the problem was the rear coil pack. The engine is running on the front and rear cylinders. I would never have guessed that since the rear plug had spark. I removed the coil and found that the rubber molding on the bottom of the coil was cracked and falling apart as though it got hot. I wonder if this is a common coil that I could get from a marine shop. Seems like Polaris dealers inflate their prices too high.

+1
    i have good used coils send me a pm

there only 32.00 from partspit and the desribtion says there OMC so i bet you can get them from a boat place

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    ...the problem was the rear coil pack. ...I would never have guessed that since the rear plug had spark.

I removed the coil and found that the rubber molding on the bottom of the coil was cracked and falling apart as though it got hot.

I wonder if this is a common coil that I could get from a marine shop. Seems like Polaris dealers inflate their prices too high.
    Glad you found the problem

The MSX 140 ignition coils are indeed a BRP part
    Polaris Part numbers 583740 (Twin), 586333 (Single)
    BRP 583740, BRP 586333

I think there is also a direct cross to an OMC Ficht ignition coil, but I don't have the OMC part numbers handy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3127.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	226802  

The polaris twin pack coil price is $85.11 from partspit. I ordered the OMC coil 583740 from Crowley Marine for $46.26. I truly appreciate you help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    The Polaris twin pack coil price is $85.11 from partspitstop.

I ordered the OMC coil 583740 from Crowley Marine for $46.26. I truly appreciate you help.
    When you get that OMC dual ignition coil in, post up a photo confirming it is indeed the correct replacement part. Will be useful for future reference by others.

Thread Information