+1

STX 12f cams?????

Am working on an early production 2003 STX12 and ran into these camshafts. Cams are marked with only punch marks instead of the usual markings. Was wondering if anyone else had ran into cams marked like this? Was told some early STX 12F's had motor cycle cams factory installed, and I'm positive these are the cams that originally came in this ski. How about you Kawasaki guru's, can you enlighten me? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stx12f cams.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	226924

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    punch marks should be level with top of cylinder head facing outward indicating TDC on #1 cylinder....

thats based on what the service manual for the 250x says.... not sure if its different but thats all i have to go off at this point right now

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    check the early manual, I only have the 06 07 manual so I cant say for sure.

Sean

+1
    Sean, the earliest manual I have is for an 2004, and it showed the cams with IN an EX and a line SCRIBED on them to line up with the head to set cam timing. All 12f,15f and Ultra cams I've ever worked on have these markings, The punch marks are a new one on me. I do know that Kawasaki uses the same gear on both cams, so I'm guessing the single punch mark is intake timing and the double punch mark is the exhaust , since all other cam gears have a hole in them just past the exhaust {EX} mark. Also the exhaust cam has the cam sensor trigger on it so theirs no doubt which cam is intake and which is exhaust. I'll double check with a dial indicator, but was just curious if any one else had seen cams with these timing marks.
    Also this engine had the oil cooler mounted on the back of the engine, with an oil line adapter under the oil filter, as I said, very early production......

+1
    ]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	late model cam.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	226947 This is an example of the cams with the EX and SCRIBED line clearly shown, not just punch marks as my cams have.......Steve

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    right, thats the way that my zx cams and the 15f cams I have seen are. are there any marks on the cam retainer or head?

Sean

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSFAB View Post
    Am working on an early production 2003 STX12 and ran into these camshafts. Cams are marked with only punch marks instead of the usual markings. Was wondering if anyone else had ran into cams marked like this? Was told some early STX 12F's had motor cycle cams factory installed, and I'm positive these are the cams that originally came in this ski. How about you Kawasaki guru's, can you enlighten me? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stx12f cams.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	226924
    Easly way to determine were the dots got is just go back to basic mechanical theory

TDC #1 cylinder
    #4 valve train rocking ( inlet valve /exh valve )
    at this point are the dots up or out !!!,

I assume it will have a exh oe IN cast in the cam its self

either way ussing the basic set up procedure you CAN get it right assuming the gears are on their correct positions

If the cams have NO markings.
    Meaning if you cant achieve dots to the side or top and having the valves rocking on #4,
    Swap the cam over and try again............

Hope that make some kind of sence .............it does in my head anyways..

Waz

Thread Information