Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ethanol in fuel destroying our dreams

After reading an article in the local newspaper that the ethanol content in the unleaded gas we are buying will be increased in the near future i think it would be a great money saving investment for everyone to add "stabil ethanol treatment each time we fill up. From what i have found out is when we dont use our ski weekly the ethanol is breaking down our rubber fuel lines and our plastic fuel tanks. These particles are too fine for the filters to catch everything so it ends up in the carbs and injectors and the rest is history.

I bought mine at walmart and use it in everything except my autos.

Just throwing this out there.

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    We have been running 10 -15% of ethanol for years here. Hasn't done anything to any of my skis I have owned. Some people run a mixture (I don't recommend it) with 20 - 25% and still does nothing.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There are several interesting threads discussing the ups and downs of ethanol in PWC, and marine/boating use in general. Use Search to find more threads discussing ethanol. Don't limit your search to the Yamaha forums.

The downsides really depend on how you use and store your machine, and how it was manufactured and serviced. If your fuel system is sensitive to materials degradation from ethanol exposure, then I have my doubts about any fuel treatment preventing that damage.

Among the known methods is to replace the ethanol sensitive parts with upgraded/newer parts that can handle ethanol. Carburetors and fuel system seals are the main areas, of course.
    Last edited by K447; 01-13-2013 at 08:23 PM.

+1
    From the tuning standpoint, pay attention to the fact that ethanol also changes the stoich point of your fuel depending on content level...

Blah blah blah blah, Ethanol has been in fuel for a long time, with no problems. If you are having a problem with it your whole neighborhood or city would too. Give it a break and point the finger somewhere else.

+1
    I deal with problems from this every day I go to work. It is very real.

Check your mower, see the fuel line? Does it have an R7 rating on it? If so, just watch the line dissolve from the inside out.

I invite anyone near central NJ to visit me and I will be happy to show them 100's of examples (if you stay long enough) of what Ethanol does when used in a fuel system not designed to handle 10% or more of it. In everything from string trimmers to race cars, and all in between.

I also invited some from the fuel companies. None have yet to take me up on my offer..... they already know the problems.

+1
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...org%2F&h=5f740 ethanol stations in your area? I have on 45 minutes from me!

pffttt, NJ is not even on the list, figures...

jerome, where do you work?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...org%2F&h=5f740 ethanol stations in your area? I have on 45 minutes from me!
    All near me only stock 90.

Anyone know if avgas is ethanol free?

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    Every station here has E85 (some have 30, 40, 50% as well) Also, ethanol puts out WAY higher octane than gasoline. It wont harm anything. Rental areas around here have skis running 2000+ hours and never heard of the ethanol running lines and seals. You would need WAY more than 15% to do anything. out of the 4 skis and 2 boats Our family have owned, always run 10-15%, putting on a total of 600 hours combined, nothing at all I have seen working on them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information