MSX140 Checking codes- constant flashing

I have an MSX140 that is running ok for 10-15 minutes then dies. the owner says if he cleans the plugs it will run for another 10-15 minutes.It seems to be a bit hard to start and once it didn't want to rev over 3500rpm. I'm yet to water test it. I have checked the fuel preasure-ok, and when I try and check the codes with an LED all I get is a constant fairly fast flashing. any ideas?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you doing all the steps needed to put the EMM into the mode where it show the service codes?

You are using an external LED test light, not the MFI's built-in red LED - correct?

Needing to clean the spark plugs suggests that the EMM is not properly controlling the fuel delivery. Check the air intake and exhaust manifold temp sensors for correct ohms, and clean connections.

3500RPM suggests SLOW mode. Make sure the machine is not in Reverse, and is not showing HOT or Check Engine on the MFI.

Correct spark plugs installed?

yes, the same way i've checked the others. could it be the emm?

correct plugs

I'll check the sensors and reverse.

finally got a code out of it- 18

the battery voltage is 12.3 volts and there's 44.7 at the injector.

i've tested the stator-ok and and all of the sensors, which tested ok except for the water temp sensor which had 2200ohms on a 35 degree c day, is that to far out of range?

I'm leaning towards an EMM problem and as it looks like the voltage reg has gone but not sure if that will fix the cutting out problem.

+1
    What year MSX, how many engine hours?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER View Post
    finally got a code out of it- 18

the battery voltage is 12.3 volts and there's 44.7 at the injector.

i've tested the stator-ok and and all of the sensors, which tested ok except for the water temp sensor which had 2200ohms on a 35 degree c day, is that to far out of range?

I'm leaning towards an EMM problem and as it looks like the voltage reg has gone but not sure if that will fix the cutting out problem.
    What was preventing you from reading the LED codes earlier?

That water temp sensor ohm reading does seem a bit high. I don't have time right now to check what 35C translates to ohm-wise.

It is possible that the EMM needs service.

What year MSX 140 is this? The 2003 models had several important Service Bulletins, including an EMM update. There should be several stickers on the flame arrestor cover listing what was done.

I don't know why i couldn't get any codes. i took it out for a test ride and when i got back i checked the codes and this time it worked. on the test ride, the ski ran fine for about a 1/4 of a mile and then while sitting on about 6000rpm it just died. when trying to restart it , sometimes it fires and starts for a second or two then dies again.

it is a 2003 model, i'll check the flame arrestors and see what they say. i'll check the hours also.

Thread Information