Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Smile Buying decision between: 2011 VXR vs. 2011 FZR

Hey everyone, help me decide on whats with these two machines... I like speed, and I like comfort. I just looked up both of these and found out the VXR goes the same speed if not faster (top end) wise then the FZR, is that possibly correct? It also says 0-30 the difference between them is 1.5 seconds and the VXR 1.8? The VXR is also $2000.00 less, whats happening here lol? I'd bet the VXR gets better gas mileage too?

Any comments, thanks guys...

Here's where I looked up that info:

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?id=1898

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?id=2324

+1
    There are two main differences: size of the watercraft and the engine.

The VXR is smaller in size than the FZR but is made of the same nanoxcel material which is strong and light.
    The VXR is normally aspirated (no supercharger) where the FZR is forced induction (supercharger).

The VXR will get better gas mileage simply because it is n/a but the FZR is still fuel efficient up to about 5k rpms where the SC starts making boost.
    The VXR has a much higher compression ratio than the FZR which is why the top speeds/ acceleration are about the same.
    The VXR doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles (ie no trim)

IMO boattest.com does a good job of going over the overall features of watercraft but their acceleration times are a little off. A stock FZR will do 0-30 in ~1.8 not 1.5.

If you decide you want to mod your ski than I would recommend the FZR for the time being but the VXR has a bunch of parts coming out this spring.

+1
    I had and GP1200R and now I have an FZR and I rode the VXR last month.

The VXR acceleration feels the same as the FZR. The VXR is smaller, so, if you like to play around doing 180º and 360º , the VXR is more suitable (you can do the same with the FZR, but, since it is bigger, the movements will be slower). I compare it with my old GPR.
    The VXR loses when you find a bit of rough water. The FZR is much more stable. Again, I found the VXR similar to my old GPR.

If I had to buy a ski today, I would buy the FZR without thinking twice.

If you buy the FZR, don't forget the R&D intake grate. It makes a big difference on hook up.
    Last edited by trek_b; 01-29-2011 at 12:49 PM.

No trim is so bad, I remember my 2007 kawasaki 250x didn't have it, was terrible in the rough. I figured the FZR would be better in some ways just seemed so close in comparison.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicedrop25 View Post
    No trim is so bad, I remember my 2007 kawasaki 250x didn't have it, was terrible in the rough. I figured the FZR would be better in some ways just seemed so close in comparison.
    Youll really like the FZ man. The way that thing takes rough water compared to my old RXP is just a night and day difference. Then if you get the itch you can pop the cork on that ski, add a few little mods and really see how it opens up!

Yea that sounds good to me...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by trek_b View Post
    I had and GP1200R and now I have an FZR and I rode the VXR last month.

The VXR acceleration feels the same as the FZR. The VXR is smaller, so, if you like to play around doing 180º and 360º , the VXR is more suitable (you can do the same with the FZR, but, since it is bigger, the movements will be slower). I compare it with my old GPR.
    The VXR loses when you find a bit of rough water. The FZR is much more stable. Again, I found the VXR similar to my old GPR.
    If you buy the FZR, don't forget the R&D intake grate. It makes a big difference on hook up.
    Those two statements are not true. I have ridden the VXR and the FZR in rough water, and prefer the VXR(with some simple bolt-on parts).

And, for the rest of my ride report and video....you'll just have to wait. Still riding/testing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicedrop25 View Post
    The Ultra 250x, 260x, and 300x, are the best in the rough period, with or without trim hands down the best hull in the rough.

I can't agree with the 250x hull, I had it in 2007 when they first came out, it didn't have trim and was a very wet ride. The nose went under every piece of chop it could. I traded it in with in the first two months, but I am sure the new ones with trim or a good ride plate are much better now. I traded to the gp1300 and never looked back...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    Those two statements are not true. I have ridden the VXR and the FZR in rough water, and prefer the VXR(with some simple bolt-on parts).

And, for the rest of my ride report and video....you'll just have to wait. Still riding/testing.

When you call someone a liar, you should justify it.

Regarding the first statement:

GPR: Length 2,93m ; Width 1,15m ; Dry Weight 306Kg
    VXR: Length 3,26m ; Width 1,17m ; Dry Weight 330Kg
    FZR: Length 3,37m ; Width 1,23m ; Dry Weight 367Kg

Are you saying the FZR is better to perform 180º and 360º?

Regarding the second statement:

This is very subjective and the rider skill is very important. In my case, with the FZR, with a bit of rough water, I can achieve a bigger top speed than with the VXR. If you say you can achieve a better top speed with the VXR, I believe you. I have no reason to call you a liar. It only means you have better skills than me.

Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information