Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Need Advice First 4 stroke

Looking at buying my first 4 stroke Sea Doo to repair/rebuild, a 2004 RXP. The guy wants $1500 firm w/trailer. Hours unknown as of now. It has a Riva stage 1 kit and he stated that the SC had been recently rebuilt, 5 hrs on the SC but no way to prove it but you could tell it had been apart, you could see RTV around the ext used to seal the halves. He also didnt know if the ceramic washers had been replaced, as it was done by previous owner. The bad, the rear cylinder is trashed. The spark plug looked like it was beat with a hammer. Does this mean it dropped a valve or something else. If the cylinder is trashed, what are my options? Also noticed the throttle body was stuck. Is this a good deal. I plan on rebuilding it my self, of worst case, drop in an SBTrebult.

Thanks
    Joe

+1
    Yep, more than likely dropped a valve, very common on that year ski.

I wouldn't personally buy an SBT motor, but that is just me. I urge you to make your own decision based on your own research. There is plenty of it out there on that subject.

It could be worth it if you play your cards right. If the cylinder is trashed there are only a few options, # 1 use it as an anchor, and find another block, # 2 Have it resleeved, which I have been told by reputable machine shops can be done. But... It may end up costing you near just as much to repair than it would to find another. I have seen blocks go anywhere from $ 600-$ 900 in good shape.

Then theres the head, if it dropped a valve, the heads trashed. It can be repaired but again your looking at at anywhere from $250-$500 bucks, plus new valves. I have seen low hour heads with updated valves go from $ 500-750. You have to factor in the possibility of the rod being trashed as well as crank possibly having issues. The journal may have gotten beat down when the valve let go..

Do your research, wieght out the cost vs benefits and see how you feel. It could be a good thing or it could be a black hole.

+1
    If it dropped a valve and the throttle body was stuck. Theres a good chance the ski sank which is why the supercharger was rebuilt. Check the connectors at the MPEM and check the fuses. Those are common places for water to get into. Also make sure its not going to sink again. An SBT motor is going to cost you an arm and a leg because of all the add ons they are going to charge you for the damage to the head and cylinder. If you go the SBT route. Give them a call and see if you can get a more accurate price so you are not surprised when you get the bill from them

+1
    Can the cylinder be rebored/resleeved on the 4 bangers.

+1
    You can bore it as long as the damage isnt too bad. As for resleeving WSM sells sleeves so Im guessing it can be done. Youll have to talk to the machine shop. The sleeves are about $85.

+1
    Guy said it had 155 hours, on it, what am I looking at if I do the work myself?

+1
    I see that if you buy a used head for this ski, you need to upgrade the exhaust valves. Does that also mean the springs, retainers, etc, or just the valves?

+1
    Just the valves if it a 05 or older....some 06 also have the old style valves....and you would need to upgrade the springs and retainers if you plan on running a upgraded ecu...

+1
    Stay away from SBT but I never heard anything bad about PWCengine.com. Might want to check it out for a motor. Anyways that's a great price for a project RXP, id jump on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    Stay away from SBT but I never heard anything bad about PWCengine.com. Might want to check it out for a motor. Anyways that's a great price for a project RXP, id jump on it.
    I dont plan on buying a rebuilt. And I've heard the opposite about pwcengine and SBT, I've bought many 2-strokes from SBT for customers without issues, and besides, I dont think pwcengine has 4-stroke Sea Doo rebuilt engines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information