+1

Yamaha suv1200 questions.

Im kinda of eyeballing this ski. Since I have 0 experience with Yamahas why not just ask you guys? It appears to be huge, which is what Im looking for. The owner emailed me stating it had 75 hours on it. Thanks for any input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

Quote Originally Posted by 750sl View Post
    Im kinda of eyeballing this ski. Since I have 0 experience with Yamahas why not just ask you guys? It appears to be huge, which is what Im looking for. The owner emailed me stating it had 75 hours on it. Thanks for any input.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
    this ski has been popular lately with the fishing crowd and some conversion folks. I think his asking price is a bit high. you know you would have to go over the usualls regardless of hours, it`s age dictates checking compression and oil lines, hoses, mounts etc... if you are able to water test the ski would be best...
    Contact Osidebill here on the forum, he KNOWS these ski well!...
    good luck and hope you grab that up at a decent price if it is indeed a good running ski...

check out the PWC Fishing forum here to see jetskibrian`s rig:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=145382
    there are many more...

+1
    Thanks, Ill ask Osidebill.

I have a 99 SUV and it's my 2nd SUV. I had another '99 that I bought several years ago from a friend so I had been around them since it they were first introduced. I sold the first one 5 years ago and missed it so much that bought the second one last spring.

This would go for any used ski, but even in the best condition and regardless of hours, older ski's are going to need some work. At the very least they need to be inspected thoroughly.

In addition to the items Pale Rider suggested checking, here are a list of items that you should take into account:

• 75 hours is low for an 11 year old ski and provided it was stored inside and not abused, should be very good cosmetically. However, 75 hours also means that it sat a lot, and the carbs on these for some reason don't like stale gas Both of my SUV's had carb issues and the first one blew two engines because of them. In fact, when I bought it the previous owner just had an SBT short block installed and used it once to break it in before I got it. I didn't know better then and after a couple seasons, it happened again before I found the real cause. JetskiBrian got something like 600 hours out of his first engine if I recall correctly, so it seems like low hours doesn't necessarily mean you'll get out of the mechanical work and high hours doesn't necessarily mean it's wore out. Bottom line, plan on rebuilding the carbs if you buy it.
    • My second ski had good compression for 107 hours (110-115 in each depending on the temperature) but I noticed the bottom of the block was always oily and couldn't really tell why. It turned out my crank seals were leaking (very obvious with the engine out of the ski), and eventually blew late in the summer.
    • Check the impeller. Mine had a piece of rope wrapped around the shaft and some damage on the impeller itself. Not a big deal and would apply to any ski of any year, but it is work that may need to be done. I installed a Solas impeller and a new wear ring.
    • Aside from the items that needed attention, I basically checked everything on the ski - even the things you can't see. In that search I found the bilge pump hose cracked and the water box cracked (part of the exhaust) as well. When I'm on my home lake it's one thing to break down because there are plenty of other boaters to help out, but I ride by myself on the gulf and Apalachicola bay when I'm on vacation so I don't take any chances mechanically.
    Overall I think the one your're looking at seems like a pretty good deal, provided it runs well. I agree with Pale Rider on the buy it now price being a little high. Hopefully the reserve is more realistic. On the other hand, these ski's in good condition are rare. I bid against someone on one last year that went up to $5700. I paid $3,300 for mine last May.

If you end up getting this or even another SUV at some point, I think you'll really enjoy it. I like them so much that I'm looking for another one to transplant a 4-stroke into, although not completely seriously at the moment. Good luck!

Joe

Thread Information