Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

smoke bellowing from the eng compartment

Got any ideas? where to start? Stage 3ish 09sho has been in storage for about 4 mnths (S FL) while waiting for a cure/answers for the 2011clutch issues. ran it in driveway on second month; seemed to run fine. At the river today on smooth water, I started it and let idle before warming it up slowly to a gradual wot. (about 10 min total run time/30sec at wot) At wot it started to run rough. By the time i got it to the dock smoke was bellowing from eng compartment and it shut off. It pumped about 1/2court or more of oil out the breather all over including the exhaust which obviously explains the smoke but not the latter unless all that smoke choked out the eng? No alarms went off, there's enough oil (1/2 way on the dip stick hash mark) and i'm confident the clutch is holding..for now.
    I'm running vipec, E-11, V.T. upgrade, hks bov, riva pwr IC, etc. no boost gauge.

+1
    Just a wild guess, but do a compression test to make sure that you don't have too much blow by on a cylinder. If you did, you may that coming out of your breather. Also check to make sure there are not any leaks/holes in any of the exhaust components. If you have exhaust leaks inside the ski, it will starve it for oxygen and it will run like crap.

+1
    Did you pull the plugs and look at them? I know this isn't a 2-stroke but what do they look like?

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Did you pull the plugs and look at them? I know this isn't a 2-stroke but what do they look like?
    +2
    Do me a favor and don't even think about running this until this is resolved )

haven't pulled the plugs yet will start on this thing tomorrow. limited tools at our river pad, may have to drag it back home.

I went ahead and pulled them tonight, looks like there's a problem w/#2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	227241  

Melted my exhaust (hose on water box for riva thru hull kit) twice after installing the rd cooling kit (had to remove the restrictor rd supplies for the exhaust. Both times i couldnt find anything wrong, until i realised it ran fine with the seats off, otherwise it would choke out. Check it all out.

I'd say a valve or ring issue for sure on #2(?). I would lean way towards a valve(s)

Caution is due IMO as in don't ride it and do pull the head. Lots of $$$ if things get worse (ask my wallet).
    Please do wait for other replies though. Worst case if there is no valve issue (scratches head) you still have a motor for the summer that hasn't exploded

I think you are in FL so at least you have some good folks close by to work on it if needed.

PS #1 has an issue also. Just not as bad right now.

Also, what does your oil look like? Not milky at all right?

oil looks good, noticed it hasn't been performing as well since VT upgrade, about 1 hr since but i didn't have a way to test boost and thought other variables such as water temp etc possible. riva did the vt upgrade, i just hope it was less then 90 days ago. how would this cause oil to pump out the breather?

Quote Originally Posted by bkweld View Post
    oil looks good, noticed it hasn't been performing as well since VT upgrade, about 1 hr since but i didn't have a way to test boost and thought other variables such as water temp etc possible. riva did the vt upgrade, i just hope it was less then 90 days ago. how would this cause oil to pump out the breather?
    Plausable that air pressure is blowing across the valve train and out the hose and in to the breather carring some level of oil mist.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information