Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FX SHO

+1

FX SHO

Hi guys i am looking at buying a fx sho, i will be doing alot of sea riding, my question is does the motor stay cool via sea water or does it have its own cooling system, the only reason i ask is that i no seadoo have a closed loop colling system which dosnt allow salt water to enter the engine and i was just wondering if the fx sho is the same, i have tried searching but cant find it anywhere your help would be appreciated thanks

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    No, the SHO does not use a closed loop system. It uses sea water for cooling. All Yamaha is the same.

+1
    As long as you properly maintain it by flushing after use, it will be fine. I think Sea-Doo uses their closed loop system as a selling point for those who know nothing about metallurgy and corrosion. There are plenty of 10 year old skis with open systems and hundreds of hours of salt water use on this forum that have been properly maintained and never had a problem as a result of having an open loop system. Conversely, I'm sure there are some out there with newer skis and very few hours who have had problems from salt because they didn't properly maintain their ski's.

+1
    dammit ok thanks for the reply would have really loved a fx sho because i will be doing alot of sea riding and i think the seadoo will be more reliable due to being a closed loop (no salt water in engine) is that correct??

Quote Originally Posted by gtile04 View Post
    dammit ok thanks for the reply would have really loved a fx sho because i will be doing alot of sea riding and i think the seadoo will be more reliable due to being a closed loop (no salt water in engine) is that correct??
    No, not necessarily.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    As long as you properly maintain it by flushing after use, it will be fine. I think Sea-Doo uses their closed loop system as a selling point for those who know nothing about metallurgy and corrosion. There are plenty of 10 year old skis with open systems and hundreds of hours of salt water use on this forum that have been properly maintained and never had a problem as a result of having an open loop system. Conversely, I'm sure there are some out there with newer skis and very few hours who have had problems from salt because they didn't properly maintain their ski's.
    +1 and salt away is your friend!!!! I have a 10 year old ski that looks like new!!! ride in the salt all my life. Maintain your ski the way you would like. You pay attention to it it will respect you The same!

+1
    thanks guys it is a big investment and just want to get the best most reliable ski, maintance is not an issue, is there a certain procudre you guys do with flushing the jet ski and adding salt away, where does the salt away go thanks guys appreciate it

thanks guys it is a big investment and just want to get the best most reliable ski, maintance is not an issue, is there a certain procudre you guys do with flushing the jet ski and adding salt away, where does the salt away go thanks guys appreciate it
    You can buy an inline dispenser in a kit w/ the salt away. Hose and rinse the exterior of the ski and the engine compartment. Also, you flush the motor as well. Always turn the motor on first, then the water. When done, switch the water off, then the motor. I would say flushing for about 5 minutes is sufficient. I always flush with regular water first for a few minutes, then i flip the salt away valve and finish until the salt away dispenser container goes from blue to clear. DONE

+1
    wow thanks for your reply i am sure to get salt away when i get my new pwc, thanks guys appreciate it

wow thanks for your reply i am sure to get salt away when i get my new pwc, thanks guys appreciate it
    Happy riding. BTW, on the Sea-Doo, you would still need to flush the intercooler and exhaust system. There are people on this site who actually convert their Sea-Doo motors to an open loop system. FYI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information