Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BR9ES

+1

BR9ES

Where is everyone purchasing these plugs? I went to the Kawasaki dealer here last year I was paying $2.99 each and yesterday they wanted to charge me $4.50. I don't think so.

+1
    Some of you might want to check out clubplug.net i got plugs for $2.40 which inlcudes shipping costs. BR9ES STOCK 5722

I just checked it out and for 12 plugs it was $24.72 plus $9.95 for shipping make it $34.67. Still seems fairly cheap and a good deal but would need to see how much I am getting them for as I forgot how much I have been paying. You can get them at auto parts stores and motorcycle ATV shops etc. too. If they are cheaper to get even after shipping then buying them local then this is a good deal.

+1
    Let me know what you find as I am always in the market to save a buck where i can. With fuel cost and running 4 skis my fuel bill it unbelieveable. At $34.67 for 12 plugs that equals $2.89 which is still cheaper than i could find them last year.

+1
    I don't change mine.

+1
    I wish i could be that lucky. I am just thankful that all four of my skis take the same plug, now if I could convert my four wheelers to take that plug along with the lawn equipment i would be in good shape. I usually change my before we start riding and then again in July sometime. I did manage to buy enough now to last a couple of years.

Texas78 I looked at your profile is that Lewisville lake in the background?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DILTS View Post
    I wish i could be that lucky. I am just thankful that all four of my skis take the same plug,
    If the carbs are set up right, you're using decent oil, and you avoid prolonged idling; they should last quite a while. I clean mine at the start of each season. I'm still running the original precious metal plugs in my Ultra 150. They have about 150 hours on them. Back in 1999, Kawasaki would send you a spare set of plugs when you sent in the warranty card. Plugs were about $36 each, but they've lowered the price. I still carry one of those sets for spares. I ran the same plugs for several years in my Yamaha boat.

I was really surprised when we took the STS's to South Padre Island and idled around the docks for over an hour and didn't foul the plugs. We revved the engines periodically to 'clear' them, but the engines continued to run fine.

+1
    My local auto parts store orders them and charges 2.49 a plug.
    Its even cheaper by the box

can you tell any difference running the prescious metal plugs??
    what are the benfits of running them??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monarchmt View Post
    can you tell any difference running the prescious metal plugs??
    what are the benfits of running them??
    I think my post was confusing. The Ultra 150 came with precious metal plugs from the factory and the early ones required them. I'm running standard plugs in the other 'Skis.

The reason Kawasaki went to the precious metal plugs in the Ultra was that the engine was prone to detonation. Apparently the plug insulators were coming apart and tearing up engines. The precious metal plugs had a small center electrode and smaller insulator that were more immune to breaking. At least that's what I've heard. They finally retarded the timing and derated the engine from 150 HP to 145 HP and went to a standard plug.

Precious metal plugs are generally used to increase plug life, not performance. On a 2-stroke that burns oil, smaller electrodes are more resistant to fouling than massive electrodes. However, I really haven't had trouble with fouled plugs in any of my 2-strokes except when a newbie rides real slow for an extended period of time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information