Trailer Wheel Size

Hey guys a new season of riding is around the corner and with my tax return I wad going to get new wheels for my trailer. I want to give the trailer a more appealing look but more importantly I want to put more rubber on the road.

So I am curious if anyone has experience with knowing how big I can go and still have clearance with the fenders. The trailer is a shorelander with 12" wheels at the moment. I would like to go at least 13" and if possible 14" since I found a wheel I like in that size but not in 13". Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

Tex, here`s a few 13s. there are other sizes as well.
    http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...78/page/910762
    currently I run 12`s.
    there are many choices to go wider as well.

Contact forum member NJjer., he found some nice wheels and tires on Ebay...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
    ...going to get new wheels for my trailer. I want to give the trailer a more appealing look but more importantly I want to put more rubber on the road.

So I am curious if anyone has experience with knowing how big I can go and still have clearance with the fenders.

... shorelander with 12" wheels at the moment. I would like to go at least 13" and if possible 14" since I found a wheel I like in that size but not in 13". Any info would be greatly appreciated...
    Why do you want wider tires? Do you need more weight/load rating, or will be traveling over soft ground?

Be careful with larger rim sizes. The difference in overall tire diameter can be much more than just the inch or two difference in wheel diameter.

Each two inch increase in tire diameter moves the rubber one inch closer to the fender, AND it lifts the frame of the trailer one inch higher from the ground. Raising the trailer frame higher means the tow ball on the tow vehicle might also have to be raised to maintain the trailer frame level.

How much room is there between the existing tire and the fender when the trailer axle is at maximum deflection UP towards the fender (like it would be going over a large bump on the road)?

Also, the recommendation is to stick with proper trailer tires, which have an ST sidewall type designation. ST trailer tires are designed for trailer use, and are built tougher than car tires.

I see your current tires are made by Carlisle and do say ST on the sidewall, but I cannot tell from the photo what Load Range they are. The load range indicates how much weight each tire can support.

It is important that the load range rating on the replacement tires be enough that the two tires between them can properly support the entire weight of the trailer itself plus the PWC load.

Thanks for the replies. I already have a couple of wheels I like that I found here http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/...eels_c_41.html so finding some wheels that I like isn't the problem.

I am aware of increasing the size lessens the space between the wheel and the fender and using the a trailer rated tire which I am going to be using. I don't want to go super wide. Just something that is a little wider then the size of a bicycle tire that seems like is on there now. Reason being is it lessens the wheel hop. Also just want something a little more sleeker then a plain jane white trailer wheel.

Mainly my question is does anyone have experience with this trailer or a set up similar to this that has put a larger size wheel on and still had good clearance with the fender and what size did you use? I just want to know how much bigger in diameter I can go and still have the clearance I need to the fender.

-Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I already have a couple of wheels I like that I found here http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/...eels_c_41.html so finding some wheels that I like isn't the problem.

I am aware of increasing the size lessens the space between the wheel and the fender and using the a trailer rated tire which I am going to be using. I don't want to go super wide. Just something that is a little wider then the size of a bicycle tire that seems like is on there now. Reason being is it lessens the wheel hop. Also just want something a little more sleeker then a plain jane white trailer wheel.

Mainly my question is does anyone have experience with this trailer or a set up similar to this that has put a larger size wheel on and still had good clearance with the fender and what size did you use? I just want to know how much bigger in diameter I can go and still have the clearance I need to the fender.

-Thanks
    well then I wouldn`t go any bigger than you already have... 145/12`s radials is about 1/2 inch taller than your 4x12`s. I have over 2in of space and the fenders hit the tires when the springs get compressed in a good bump or harsh road...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... something that is a little wider ... it lessens the wheel hop.

... want to know how much bigger in diameter I can go and still have the clearance I need to the fender...
    The best way to improve the trailer's ride is to install a torsion type axle in place of the leaf spring axle. Or trade up to a torsion axle trailer.

Another way to improve the trailer's ride harshness is to change to a larger tire that requires lower air pressure. Some trailer tires run at 80PSI, which can provide a very harsh ride. A larger tire with roughly the same load rating will generally carry a lower air pressure requirement (marked on the tire sidewall).

You can measure your current clearance to the fender, and work from there. Measure from the tire tread up to the fender where the tire fits under the fender. In other words, how much room is there above the tire before it would hit the fender?

Next measure the space between the axle and the axle bump stop on the trailer frame, whatever the maximum distance is that the axle could flex upwards before hitting a solid stop. Subtract that suspension travel gap from the fender clearance measurement, and the result is how much room you have to fit a larger tire.

Double the number, subtract a little for fender clearance with the larger tire, and add the overall diameter of your current tire. The result is the maximum new tire diameter that you can fit.

Now you can go shopping for ST trailer tires that have that new maximum outside diameter, or a tad smaller (not larger).

Thread Information