Used Part Quality / Internet Shopping

Hey Greenhulk community. I bought a good GP1300R-Blown GP1300R-trailer package earlier this fall. Other than a 25 mph pontoon boat (yawn) this is my first watercraft purchase. This site has been very valuable. I've found all of the info I've wanted and haven't had the need to post.

I tore the blown motor down and there was a bad rod bearing that took out the case, destroyed one of the cylinders, and messed up the head so I thought it best to but a complete engine. I purchased a 30 hour $1950 delivered "excellent condition" engine from a dealer in Texas and it showed up full of water and non useable. It took a month and me posting a video on youtube but he offered to take it back, me being responsible for shipping both ways. I didn't trust him to send me the cash so in November we decided he would pay me $350 and I would keep it (not enough but I'm not out everything if he doesn't pay). Well it's now almost February and I don't have my money. I call him every week and will continue to do so until I die. Here is the whole story. I'd only watch the last two minutes:

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I purchased a "ready to run" $250 dollar crankshaft from a guy in the greenhulk classifieds to put in the above engine and this is what I got. The rod ends are rusty too and the pto side bearing is rough but I can't put in any more pics:

I emailed him pics to complain and his response was: "no problem, ship it back and I'll use it in one of my motors"

Am I just too picky? Are these parts good and should I be happy to install them in a GP1300R which has some reliability issues, even with brand new rust free parts? Is it possible to receive used rust-free parts in watersports? Am I responsible for shipping even when I feel the parts are mis-represented? What percentage of the time are you satisfied with internet purchases? How do you handle the cash exchange on returns? I don't want to send him the crank before I get my money and I'm sure he doesn't want to send me the money before he gets the crank. Also still looking for a good crank if anybody out there has one.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by whatdidido View Post
    Hey Greenhulk community. I bought a good GP1300R-Blown GP1300R-trailer package earlier this fall. Other than a 25 mph pontoon boat (yawn) this is my first watercraft purchase. This site has been very valuable. I've found all of the info I've wanted and haven't had the need to post.

I tore the blown motor down and there was a bad rod bearing that took out the case, destroyed one of the cylinders, and messed up the head so I thought it best to but a complete engine. I purchased a 30 hour $1950 delivered "excellent condition" engine from a dealer in Texas and it showed up full of water and non useable. It took a month and me posting a video on youtube but he offered to take it back, me being responsible for shipping both ways. I didn't trust him to send me the cash so in November we decided he would pay me $350 and I would keep it (not enough but I'm not out everything if he doesn't pay). Well it's now almost February and I don't have my money. I call him every week and will continue to do so until I die. Here is the whole story. I'd only watch the last two minutes:

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I purchased a "ready to run" $250 dollar crankshaft from a guy in the greenhulk classifieds to put in the above engine and this is what I got. The rod ends are rusty too and the pto side bearing is rough but I can't put in any more pics:

I emailed him pics to complain and his response was: "no problem, ship it back and I'll use it in one of my motors"

Am I just too picky? Are these parts good and should I be happy to install them in a GP1300R which has some reliability issues, even with brand new rust free parts? Is it possible to receive used rust-free parts in watersports? Am I responsible for shipping even when I feel the parts are mis-represented? What percentage of the time are you satisfied with internet purchases? How do you handle the cash exchange on returns? I don't want to send him the crank before I get my money and I'm sure he doesn't want to send me the money before he gets the crank. Also still looking for a good crank if anybody out there has one.
    Thanks,
    Jason
    jason Welcome to the forum and sucks to hear about your misfortune.
    You are not to picky, that "ready to run" crank is toast... also looks like there may be a groove where the seal rides. soley from the picture the snout where the flywheel mounts doesn`t look to good either. You should post your concerns in the buyers/seller feedback forum naming the shop responsible for the engine sale along with the forum member who sold you that "ready to run" crank... BUT keep it factual, truthful, and on point...

you should never install any rusted parts in any engine. Crank`s are the foundation to a well running machine. compromise here and disaster will result. I would suggest that if you are not totally satisfied with your purchases to do whatever it takes to rectify getting your funds back or what the seller`s promised. maybe use legal action., small claims court. almost 2K is nothing to dismiss... Unfortunately there are scammers and thieves out here on the net. And the number one reason why there are rules in our classified forums.
    You should not be responsible for return shipping costs in this instance bc the items are not as described according to your testimony and obviously have the photo`s and proof.
    There are many many usable parts in good working condition here on this forum but not without it`s small percentage of crooks as in any internet site. The old phrase: buyer beware... these people get weeded out as they are caught.
    Good luck with your situation and hope you get some kind of satisfactory resolution...

if all else fails, that crank can be sent out and rebuilt by reputable shops.

Agree with above, definatly post in "feedback" section so someone else doesn't get burned. Also, when it comes to buying "used" parts, stick with credible/awesome feedback/well known sellers to avoid getting screwed. With motor parts, I seldom buy used because you have no idea of the actual wear on a part even if it looks ok by eye.

both the dealer that sold you the motor, and the guy that sold the crank are retards. don't waste any time with pwc engine out of NY either. he's retarded as well. heard of a killer deal for a oem crank on this site i believe. possibly thru iboats?????? not sure. there's alot of reterds on the net selling crap, so, buy close, and you can go to them and throw the motor through their window if it's bad. bring a friend, they are heavy.

Thanks for the heads up on PWC. They're selling rebuilds on ebay for $450 and I was definitely considering it.

Thread Information