Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Helmets

  1. #1
    Phil
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hull, Yorkshire, England, UK
    Posts
    104

    Helmets

    I have only been on lakes and on the sea abroad where it is calm. However I will be taking mine on the sea soon and I knew it would be dangerous but didnt realise it could cause so many injuries, I dont have a stand up its a sit down. So basically is it worth getting a helmet? The reason I ask is because on lakes people always get advised to wear life jackets, but not helments unless racing. I heard because if you fall off with a helmet on into the water at a force the helmet is strapped to you or the open faced one, the drag on the water will pull it up and could break your neck?
    But the other side of it is if you fall in water and another craft hits you or a rock etc it could save you.
    Whats the right thing to do?


  2. #2
    Tiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Atl
    Posts
    3,561
    +1
    578
    Protect your onion!!!! Its the only one you have!!! If your concerned about your head being pulled to one side or the other get a HANS device as well....

    Just get something light cause once it gets water in it, its gonna get heavy!!!! Get something with removeable foam so you can wash the funk out of it too!!

  3. #3
    Phil
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hull, Yorkshire, England, UK
    Posts
    104
    Yea I personlly think its best to wear a helmet specially out at sea. What is a HANS device?
    I will prob get a moto cross open faced one so I can wear goggles aswell.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil1987uk View Post
    Yea I personlly think its best to wear a helmet specially out at sea. What is a HANS device?
    I will prob get a moto cross open faced one so I can wear goggles aswell.
    check these out:
    GATHSPORTS - MARGARET RIVER, WESTERN AUSTRALIA

    Our safety people here on the forum, Shawn Alladio K38 wears them as well.

    I have a retractable. comfortable, light weight, and will not cause bucketing.

  5. #5
    Phil
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Hull, Yorkshire, England, UK
    Posts
    104
    Thanks for that, I am going to have a look for one. Any types of helmets/hans makes you would recommend?

  6. #6
    Moderator DrewNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Posts
    3,716
    +1
    1
    I've worn a few different helmets here and there, but mainly for cold weather riding to stay warm. Never liked the motocross helmets but that's just me. I do like wearing a full face street bike helmet when it's really cold but have never worn one in the ocean. They keep your head super warm.

    Two things....Make sure it fits tight on your head because the wind tries to pull the helmet off at high speeds making it hard to see, and make sure it's something with a liner you can pull out to dry and wash.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I've worn a few different helmets here and there, but mainly for cold weather riding to stay warm. Never liked the motocross helmets but that's just me. I do like wearing a full face street bike helmet when it's really cold but have never worn one in the ocean. They keep your head super warm.

    Two things....Make sure it fits tight on your head because the wind tries to pull the helmet off at high speeds making it hard to see, and make sure it's something with a liner you can pull out to dry and wash.
    and we are talking about a really big helmutt here folks, really big!!!

  8. #8
    Moderator DrewNJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Posts
    3,716
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    and we are talking about a really big helmutt here folks, really big!!!
    Your just pushing to have your Gath pics posted aren't you?..... Keep it up!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Your just pushing to have your Gath pics posted aren't you?..... Keep it up!
    DOH!

  10. #10
    Tiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The Atl
    Posts
    3,561
    +1
    578
    I would NOT wear a full face helmet...Get a MX style helmet....Not sure what the impact rating is of the shield on a full face and if you hit the water the wrong way, is it gonna break and fill your face with plastic???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tony Hawk Helmet Cam
    By Green Hornet in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 08:23 PM
  2. Ridin Gear: Slippery,Jetpilot,Helmets... Discounts?
    By Shibby1485 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 04:30 PM
  3. HJC Helmet Lineup!
    By Compwhiz82 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 01:41 PM
  4. Helmet
    By Compwhiz82 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 08:21 PM
  5. Helmet
    By Compwhiz82 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 01:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •