Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question/Consern - Yamaha ski shopping

Myself and a friend of mine are looking to pick up a couple new skis this year (we both have been riding for years - so we're not newbies). We have both been looking at the VXR, FX, and FZ line up. We both have young kids between the 2-7 year range and I'm a little worried about some info I have read. So here are my questions:

1) Bucking(stuffing) - is this a major problem on all of these skis? I've never heard of this happening until reading the yamaha section of these forums. I would hate to have that happen with my wife and kids on the ski. I have older polaris that is fun but it's dated and want something newer but my pol is pretty safe for the wife/kids.

2) Supercharger clutches - is this something that is going to need replacing on a regular basis? I may avoid this and go with the NA FXR.

3) I, personally am a little more interested in the VXR but the only thing I am a little concerned with here is it not having any trim. Any thoughts?

for what it's worth...we ride anything from glass smooth rivers to the good sized chop of Lake Michigan.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolmc View Post
    1) Bucking(stuffing) - is this a major problem on all of these skis? I've never heard of this happening until reading the yamaha section of these forums. I would hate to have that happen with my wife and kids on the ski.
    Stuffing can happen on several modified models and brands for different reasons, but it has been reported with the FZ series in stock form and people have been hurt. The good news is, this can be easily resolved with the addition of the inexpensive R&D intake grate. This is a quick and easy mod, so I would not let that keep you from buying an FZ model by any means. A lot of us here have the FZ models and love them. I have two FZ's, my kids and I run them all the time with no problems.

2) Supercharger clutches - is this something that is going to need replacing on a regular basis? I may avoid this and go with the NA FXR.
    I think as long as you are not making major modifications or big speed, the clutch is going to be fine. Many of us have zero problems running the OEM equipment under warranty as it was designed by Yamaha. The thing you have to remember is, a lot of the problems you read about here show up when the parts start getting pushed beyond what they were designed for.

3) I, personally am a little more interested in the VXR but the only thing I am a little concerned with here is it not having any trim. Any thoughts? for what it's worth...we ride anything from glass smooth rivers to the good sized chop of Lake Michigan.
    The VXR is a newcomer for 2011; they are just now starting to trickle into the forum as people buy them. I think the best thing to do is test ride one, along with one or two other models; that really is the best way to compare.

In my experience, I would say the trim is a very important feature to most of us on the FZ hulls, but I'm not sure how much it will matter on the VXR. Make sure you try and test them in the chop or whatever conditions you will usually ride in, and choose the one you like best. Here is Jerry's ride report on the 2011 lineup:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=137332

+1
    +1, well said.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Stuffing can happen on several modified models and brands for different reasons, but it has been reported with the FZ series in stock form and people have been hurt. The good news is, this can be easily resolved with the addition of the inexpensive R&D ride plate. This is a quick and easy mod, so I would not let that keep you from buying an FZ model by any means. A lot of us here have the FZ models and love them. I have two FZ's, my kids and I run them all the time with no problems.
    I think YoYamma meant to say "intake grate" not "ride plate" (although a ride plate may help too?), but he is exactly right.

+1
    Myself and a friend of mine are looking to pick up a couple new skis this year (we both have been riding for years - so we're not newbies). We have both been looking at the VXR, FX, and FZ line up. We both have young kids between the 2-7 year range and I'm a little worried about some info I have read. So here are my questions:

1) Bucking(stuffing) - is this a major problem on all of these skis? I've never heard of this happening until reading the yamaha section of these forums. I would hate to have that happen with my wife and kids on the ski. I have older polaris that is fun but it's dated and want something newer but my pol is pretty safe for the wife/kids.

3) I, personally am a little more interested in the VXR but the only thing I am a little concerned with here is it not having any trim. Any thoughts?

for what it's worth...we ride anything from glass smooth rivers to the good sized chop of Lake Michigan.

Any input would be great.

Thanks!!
    I'd say go for the FX SHO and leave it stock. Pretty much covers all your concerns:

1)No buck
    2)fine if left stock
    3)SHO has trim

Also if you do any riding with passengers like you stated, I assure you the FX is by far the best choice for that.

+1

Here's a video of when I had a VXR for the weekend. Fun ski!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RichieFZR View Post

Here's a video of when I had a VXR for the weekend. Fun ski!!
    Hi Richie

what did you think of it mate ? i hear some say they are as fast as a bone stock FZR i couldnt see that

+1
    Mate , I raced it next to marc fx sho and it got it!! power to weight mate. they are a great ski! That video was taken at lake moogerah. I had QLD transport on there seadoo rxp 215's chase me across the lake (Because I didnt see them) and they couldnt keep up. when I stopped they had there coppa lights on. The guy said....... Is that thing modded? I said no mate stock as a rock! he said, how much HP . I said , I think about 180hp..... He said no way, I was trying to catch you across the whole lake mate.... no way 180hp! HAHAHA Me been the smart ass I said, no mate its coz your on a seadoo!!! hahahah he didnt like that one bit...... hahahhahaaha

another video

Last edited by RichieFZR; 01-31-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: video

+1
    pretty good for no S/C and no head aches with clutches

and love the part its a seadoo lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FZR N View Post
    pretty good for no S/C and no head aches with clutches

and love the part its a seadoo lol
    I was going to be full cockie and say , mate you just cant ride over 100+'ks an hour flat out over wake....... But I think he would have thrown the book at me for riding flat out and not stopping for him.... hahaha

When I first rode it, I was abit un sure about the ski, but having it for the that weekend and many more weekends after I really like it. I would have one any day, but Ive already got 2 ski's..... when do you stop?? LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information