2000 XL limited won't go above idle

hi evryone,
    I just picked up a 2000 yamaha XL limited as a winter project. I was told by the previous owner that it runs fine on the trailer, but when it goes in the water it only does like 5 mph. All I have done so far was to check compression. The first cylinder has about 110 psi, the middle and PTO cylinder have like 130 psi. I was told that it got a new crank recently and new cat. and a new cylinder. The ski has 121 hours. I am hoping that it is just a sensor or something.
    I am wondering where I should start. I now a little about waverunners, but I am no expert.
    From what I have read I will be getting a D-plate, wave eater clips and going pre-mix.
    Thanks is advance for any help I get on fixing up this ski.

if it was me i would take a look at the carbs

could be anything from fuel lines to throttle lines. Could be ignition issue. not likely but...if the compression is good you can fix it.

Does anyone know where I can download a free PDF service manual for this ski. Thanks for the advice.

i got one off this sit i think. it is the factory yami manual. do a search and you will find it.

PM me and I'll send you the manual and parts book for the XL1200 Ltd. Does the engine rev up and the ski still only does 5mph? I'd be looking at pump/driveline etc. if that's the case. If the engine doesn't rev, then carbs and electrics may need a check. Cheers, Dave.

+1
    Does it rev up in the water but only goes 5 mph?

I am finally getting a look at this ski, I hope to know whether it will rev up soon.

Well this project is done. I have it all back together again. I had the carbs rebuilt by onside Bill (Thanks Bill) and I installed a D-plate and wave-eater clips and coverted the ski to pre-mix. The ski runs great now. It has a top speed on GPS at 57mph, is that what it should be? I also noticed that the throttle at low speeds is a little choppy. It sometimes almost feels like a "on" or "off" kinda thing. Not real smooth.
    Another thing that I have noticed is that I have to let it idle for a little bit on start-up or increase the throttle slowly or it wants to stall. After 20 to 30 seconds slow ramp up or coming on and off the throttle it is fine. Thoughts?

Thread Information