Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2005 Sea Doo GTX wont go over 32 mph

Hey guys, yesterday i took my GTX out for a little run yesterday to make sure all was running okay and i was very dissapointed to find out that the speedo said it was only going 32mph when i was going full throttle. It hit 60 last time i rode it, which was about 2 months ago. Since then, it has just sat in my driveway, being started every other weekend just to keep it running. I am hoping that maybe it is just the speedometer is not being accurate, however i know it could be much more serious. Any ideas on what the problem might be are greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help.

+1
    Try and spin the speedo sensor wheel by hand and make sure it spins freely...its at the back of the ski by the drain plug. if it spins freely, the problem is deeper than just the wheel.

+1
    How fast do you think you were going - 30 or 60? If you felt you were going 60 but your speedo was in the the 30's, then it' prob. just the sending unit. The opposite would prob. be a little tougher to diagnose...

+1
    Take it out with a GPS and see what your speed is....Does the ski still feel like it has power??Is it a supercharger GTX????

+1
    what color is the key that you're using?

Quote Originally Posted by zacharypi View Post
    Hey guys, yesterday i took my GTX out for a little run yesterday to make sure all was running okay and i was very dissapointed to find out that the speedo said it was only going 32mph when i was going full throttle. It hit 60 last time i rode it, which was about 2 months ago. Since then, it has just sat in my driveway, being started every other weekend just to keep it running. I am hoping that maybe it is just the speedometer is not being accurate, however i know it could be much more serious. Any ideas on what the problem might be are greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the help.

I know i was using the correct key because we only have one of them seeing that we bought it used. However, the one i was using was Yellow. I truely couldnt tell how fast we were going by speed because i have only ridden it about 4 times and have only topped out on it twice. Also, the power seemed just fine when i was just playing around doing donuts and stuff like that. But whenever i tried to just pin it it would accelerate just fine but then according to the speedo it would go no faster than about 32 mph. Also, the ski is supercharged.
    The reason why i think it is probably the speedo is because the last time i ran it it hit 60mph with no problems. Then i came home, flushed the motor, and it has just sat in my driveway ever since (With the exception of being started every over other weekend). Thus, i cant see how anything could possible have gone wrong while it was simply sitting on the trailer in my driveway.

+1
    Do you remember what your RPMs were????If they were up around 8000-8100 then i would think your speed sensor is going bad...And if this is the case you can double check yourself with a GPS..Also being bought used i would have that Scer checked for slip and to make sure the clutches are ok

Ok guys, i just went out in the driveway to take a look at it to try to find the sensor wheel you guys were talking about and i think i know what the problem was. First off, let me start out by saying that it was running around 8000 RPM's.
    Anyway, last time me and my dad washed it we lifted up the trailer to let the water drain out of the footwells. Well, when we lifted it the rear of the ski did hit the concrete rather hard because we didnt realize how easy it would be to lift up(rookie mistake). Anyway, i just examind the sensor wheel and it does spin freely. However,there are only three prongs on the wheel and it appears as if it may have had 4 at one time and one of the four may have broken off causing the speedo to be inaccurate. So, i have to ask a favor one of you guys out there with a similiar ski. Do you guys know if yalls skis have 3 or 4 prongs on the sensor wheel? thanks for the help

+1
    RXPs have 4

Im really hoping that is the problem seeing that we bought the GTX on a double trailer with a 02 GTI at the end of the summer. After riding them only 3 times, the GTI went down and now we are having a completely new engine put in that one. Anything major wrong with the GTX would really put a dent in our funds. Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information