Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Installing the JD Intercooler

Please do not take this as the only or best method to install the intercooler, It is what worked for me. I know several people have already commented on this install, but, I have some insights that I do no believe were mentioned previously:

1, When you install the intercooler, it is a must that you install a dedicated cooling line.

2. Although the intercooler can be installed without removing the intake, it sure makes the install easier and the intake is only held by six bolts. Just unsnap the fuel rail connection, loosen the hose fitting to the intercooler and the the electrical connectors and it is good to go.

3. There are a couple of quirks in the JD kit:

a. The 11/32 vacuum hose is too short. The instructions show the MAP tee connection on the front of the intake, but, on the FZ it is on the rear of the intake. My guess this could be a SHO picture.

b. You have to mount the blow-off valve with a snap ring. I have three sets of snap ring pliers and all of them were insufficient in size to mount the BOV. It takes a large set of pliers and a lot of force to compress this snap ring. Ace hardware has a "heavy duty" set that works - pricey though.

4. For the new dedicated intercooler feed hose you will need a thru-hull 1/2" hose barb. On the FZ the ideal hole location is on the starboard side in the back of the hull. Locate the engine cooling water exhaust outlet and the nozzle control cable outlet. Drill a 5/8" hole equal distance (between) from these two outlets. I used 3M 5300 to water seal the hole. Pull off the engine water outlet hose on the inside, this is needed to tighten the new thru-hull barb. If you have a set of locking hose clamp pliers it sure make these hose removals far easier.

You merely have to unbolt the reverse gate and the nozzle cable bracket. This allows you to get a small drill and a 5/8" bit into the area. It is imperative that you mark the exact location of the hole, if you get it too close to either outlet fitting you might not be able to tighten the new fitting due to interference.

The next step is to get the Riva high volume strainer that includes an additional outlet. This installs easily and you run a 1/2" hose from the strainer to the new thru-hull barb. It merely goes over the top of the pump and is approximately 18" long.

On the inside of the hull you now run approximately a 5 ft piece of 1/2" hose to the JD intercooler. I removed the original oem intercooler feed from the four-way fitting located on the port side of the ski next to the water box. I have yet to seal off the four-way, but, Riva uses a a self-tapping screw.

The last item is to improve the intercooler water outlet. I am running a 1/2" hose directly from the intercooler outlet to a 1/2" X 45 degree fitting on the stern of the ski, it is in the same position as the oem outlet in the stern except on the starboard side. This is also a 5 ft-6ft length of hose. I have not done it yet, but, I am going to try to put a wye at the front of the intercooler and run the aforementioned hose to the rear, but, also use the oem outlet, therefore two outlets and less hydraulic pressure drop - more flow.

+1
    Great info Jack. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Bookmarking for future reference.

+1
    Could a mod add this to the SHO library? I know it isn't updated all the time but this is great info!

Good post - Just some personal comments.

3a - The SHO (stock) sensor is on the rear of the manifold also.
    3b - Good snapring pliers are like gold. I went through half a dozen before finding a good one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    3b - Good snapring pliers are like gold. I went through half a dozen before finding a good one.
    Got a picture of the set you liked?

Yep. About $20 on Amazon last I saw.

Not like those thin stamped pieces of garbage. Reversable and comes with a set of tips and spare set screws.

+1
    Sweet. Thanks for the post.

+1
    Like SHObiz said. the pliers with the spring load are great. With the crappy flat pliers, it took me and a helper 25-30 attempts to seat the ring for my BOV into the hose adapter. Later, I had to move the BOV to the riva IC. So I bought this set from sears for $25 Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more. These things are awesome with the 90* tips. I removed the ring from the hose adapter and re-installed into the Riva IC on my first attempt at each.

I have a spare ring. So i just took a few pics. In the 2nd pic, I have the ring fully compressed with one hand while i took pic with other. Well worth the $25, even if you only ever use it once.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP00705.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	227947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP00707.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	227948  

+1
    Those are the exact pliers I use.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Good post - Just some personal comments.

3a - The SHO (stock) sensor is on the rear of the manifold also.

The instructions were pretty good, I wonder why they made this mistake. No big deal just buy 5 ft of 5/32 automotive vacuum line.

That snap ring is about as bad as it gets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information