Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GTX running poorly

Hello all,
    Well it was just warm enough to take my boat out for a little while this weekend, but ran into a problem

This is a 97 GTX....and it is hard to start, and boggs allot. Every once and a while, it will take off and tach up to 6000 rpms, but most of the time it boggs and you can slowly accelerate up to 4500rpms, but then it will die if you give it any more throttle. I found that if I held the throttle wide open and kept pulling the choke on and off, it would run, but jumped back and forth between 4500 and 6000 rpms depending on the choke position.

I pulled the plugs when I got off the water, and the rear one looked perfect but the front one was very wet.

So I am assuming the front carb is running too rich? Or am i way off base?

Thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you need to change teh fuel lines and clean the carbs...follow this thread. if you need help post up
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/sea-...-cleaning.html

nice Ag-Co avatar BTW

Thanks for the info
    I just did this repair and now I am not getting any fuel to the carbs. I am 99% sure I have all the lines plumbed correctly. Why no fuel? The only thing I did differently was put an inline filter in the line going to the carbs. This should not be the problem. How does the fuel get pulled from the tank to the carb?

97 GTX

+1
    there is a fuel pump on the side of the carb where the line first gets to the carbs. make sure that you have your lines run correctly. read the top of the water strainer and make sure you have the right line going to the carbs there is an IN/OUT on that strainer. im betting you have a line backwards.

So I am back with still the same issues. I replaced the fuel lines and the fuel selector value. I also totally rebuilt the carbs with all new parts. It's still running quite rough and hard to start. I pulled the plugs and they were covered in fuel. I spun the engine over a few times and the cylinders are just pouring out gas. The front cylinder seems to be worse than the back. I am also getting nasty, oily residues out the exhaust. Any ideas?!

+1
    you need to check the turns out you have on the high and low side...you should have settings
    GTS/GTX -
    Low Speed – 1 +/- 1/4
    High Speed – 0
    I would check the carb screens one more time because sometimes there is a little trash that gets through.

you may also be in need of a new coil from the sounds of it. If you dont have a great spark this may be correct also. a bad coil can spark but its sometimes not strong enough to ignite fuel or could be flooded out. if that is not it its in the MPEM and you will have to replace that.
    the extra oil gas mix is because you have been running on one cylinder and its pouring gas/oil out the back.
    are the spark plugs new and correctly gaped?

I will check the adjustments one more time. The plugs are brand new. There is something causing the 1 cylinder to flood with fuel. Hopefully I can adjust it out. But if not, what else would cause it......rotary valve? What are the black\red round things on the top of each cylinder? Some type power valve? What do they do?

pressure test the carbs, it sounds like your needle/seat is letting fuel through, either its damaged/worn or the diaphram could be keeping them open sometimes the cover needs to bent out, oh and check the arms are correct and the pivots too

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by winterstick View Post
    pressure test the carbs, it sounds like your needle/seat is letting fuel through, either its damaged/worn or the diaphram could be keeping them open sometimes the cover needs to bent out, oh and check the arms are correct and the pivots too
    +1 that was going to be my second guess....leaky needle and seat

Pressure test? Is that the same as a pop off test? What should the readings be? How do I change the setting if the test is not withing spec?
    I replaced the pivot and spring when I rebuilt the carbs. Maybe I need to replace the needle and seat, but how to I tell what size I need?

Questions on the Adjustments, The idle screw should be out 1-1/14 turns, right? But you say 0 on the high speed screw, does that mean it should be all the way closed?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information