Thread: Bilge pump

Phil

Bilge pump

Since I am going to be going on the sea for long cruises etc, I think its a good idea to get a bilge pump. Will this one fit? and are they easy to fit?

RULE BILGE PUMP,BOAT,CRUISER,FISHING,JETSKI.500,25D,NEW on eBay (end time 16-Jan-11 20:18:52 GMT)

Cheers Phil

+1
    Rule makes good pumps and that one will work fine. Also, the stock bilge system actually works pretty good as long as your running.
    However, a 500gph pump is going to be like pissing in the wind if you get any type of real water leak.
    An 1100 gph pump would be better. Most of us around here run Versiplugs for rough water and they work really well at getting rid of a lot of water pretty quickly. Welcome to PWCDOCTOR.COM's Official Website!
    Personally, I ran a rule 1100 pump on a manual switch, stock bailer system and versiplugs but never had an issue with water and never ran the pump even once...

Phil
    Okay thanks for that, also the versiplugs need no wiring? How do they work and are they easy to fit?

+1
    The versiplugs replace the stock drain plugs on the ski. They screw in. They have a little plastic ball that is retained in the metal housing. When the ski is sitting in the water, the water pressure pushes the ball into the housing and seals up the hole. When the ski is under power the ball is forced to the back of the housing allowing any water in the hull to flow through the hole and out of the ski.
    However, If you let the ski sit for a long period of time "some" water will leak past the ball but for a normal riding outing they are fantastic! I would not leave them in the ski if the ski is sitting in the water overnight...

Drew, any concern with 1100's 2x (or so) electrical draw? Do you use any switch (like water witch) to warn you if water has risen in bilge (if pump is manual only)?

+1
    No concerns at all for power draw. I know of a few who run multiple pumps with no issues too. I have always done my switches fully manual and just keep an eye on things. Remember the pumps are really just for an emergency situation if something fails or you flip the ski. For switches check out the handlebar switches at blowsion.com or just make sure you use a good waterproof switch.

+1
    If you want something auto check out the auto pumps. They cycle every few minutes and continue to run if the pump motor senses load from water. Careful though because they can run the battery down when the ski is sitting if left on since they will continue to cycle.

Phil
    Thanks for the replies, so what would you advise out of all these? Are they all easy to fit? Could you point a good one out on the net for me.

Cheers.

Thread Information