Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

04' Polaris Genesis 1200 Need some info !!

Hey guys, just found your forum and has already proved VERY Helpful !!!! I purchased a 2004 Polaris Genesis I 1200 this morning that the guy couldnt get running (no spark) after about 10 minutes of searching around here I learned that the TPS could be the culprit and sure enough it was !!!!! A problem that stumped the previous owner from mid-summer (that eventually caused him to sell VERY cheap) took all of about 15 minutes to figure out !!! He even took the ski to the dealer and they gave him some horror story about the EMM and that the fuel injection system maybe the cause !!!!!! Anyway, I have a strange issue... The LCD display is always lit up when the battery is connected, it NEVER goes off !!!! Does the hour meter count up when this display is on ??? The reason I ask is that the hour meter reads 553.3 hours !!!!!! This cannot possibly be true, Im telling you guys this ski doesnt have a scratch, Looks show room new in and out, it CANT have 553.3 hours, I JUST CANT !!!!! I was told this ski had low hours but never connected the battery while with the original owner, I bought it as-is and not running and was so cheap that I didnt even worry about hooking up the battery... I was told this ski was bought new, kept in garage and barely used, believe me when I tell you I HAVE NEVER seen any car,truck,boat or PWC that is this clean and 6 years old, I sware it looks 6 months old... Do you think that the hour meter continues to count while the LCD display is lit up, the original owner noticed this issue and thats why he had the battery disconnected ??? Any light you guys might shed would be helpful !!!! If the hour meter has continued to run even when the engine is not running is there any way to read the computer to find out the actual running hours ??? THANKS IN ADVANCE !!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Sometimes the MFI hour meters (used on the Virage and Genesis models only) can run up the hour meter while just sitting. I suspect this happens when the battery voltage slowly fades away during storage and at some point the MFI internally becomes unhappy and does strange things. It happens, and as far as I know there is no way to reset the MFI hour counter to zero. You will read on here about MFD units that reset to zero hours, but the MFI and MFD are different things.

Click my signature links below to find more info on your MFI display and many other useful things.

The digital clock will always be visible, but the rest of the unit will internally go to 'sleep' after five minutes of inactivity. The clock does not run the battery down, not much different from an LCD watch that runs for years on a small battery.

Do take the time to read up on things to check, maintain, and watch for, with your almost new Genesis.

You will find that the Ficht engine is fairly easy on gas consumption (for a PWC) despite being rated for 4 passengers. The Genesis is the smallest of the three different brand 4 passenger PWCs ever sold (no 4 person PWC remain in production). Both the Yamaha SUV and the Sea-Doo LRV are substantially larger hulls, and not nearly as much fun to ride. 2004 was the last model year for Polaris PWC production.

Thanks a lot for your quick response, figures as soon as I made this post I read another that stated that the hour meter can reset or act flakey if the battery is bumped or power is cycled to rapidly .. Im pretty sure this is the case here.. Thanks again !!!!

WOW I came here looking for the same question about the HOUR METER reading strange and I see yours is reading the same as mine. My SKI is a 2002 Genesis and it looks the same way now as the day it left the showroon, I just didnt have time to ride it because of family health issues so I decided to sell it and last time I looked it had around 20 hours or so on it so thats what I put in my ad. So I go and take the dead battery out put the new one in and BAM the hour meter reads 553.3 hours. Now I have someone that was going to be here in two hours to look at this and I see the hour meter and freak out, I can see it now them thinking I am trying to scam them because of all those EXTRA hours on the hour meter and will they think what else is he hiding. So I called this guy back and told him I had a family emergency and wasnt going to be home and will get back to him. So my question is which I think I already found out "HOW DO I MAKE THE HOUR METER READ THE CORRECT HOURS AGAIN?" Thanks these forums have helped me a lot even though I never post but I read them all the time. TONY

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyskid View Post
    ... the hour meter reads 553.3 hours.

... I think I already found out "HOW DO I MAKE THE HOUR METER READ THE CORRECT HOURS AGAIN?" ...
    What did you find out?

As far as I know there is no method for resetting the hour counter in the MFI display.

This problem is a reminder to others- don't leave a dying battery in your Polaris. Either keep it charged, or disconnect the battery.

Regarding your buyer, anyone who knows much about 2-stroke engines will be able to tell from the actual condition of your machine and the engine itself whether it has anywhere near 500 actual running hours on it. Compression testing should show solid numbers, and mechanical inspection should show low wear everywhere else.

People get fixated on engine hours when it just is not that important. What is important is actual current condition and prior maintenance practices. Your 2002 Genesis is now seven years old. After that many years any PWC of any brand can vary greatly in condition depending on how it has been cared for and used.

Since the engine hour counter is known to be unreliable, buyers should not depend on the reading. The MFI type displays can suddenly jump up in hour count, while the older MFD displays can randomly reset to zero hours.

Thats what I was hoping for someone that can tell this machine is basically brand new heck I never even added oil to the tank from the day I got it thats how little we could use it. I am afraid someone will think I am trying to pull a fast one because in my ad I posted the hours @22 so I guess I need to change that ASAP and just start counting from here.
    Thanks for the help

+1
    ... in my ad I posted the hours @22 so I guess I need to change that ASAP and just start counting from here....
    All you need to do is make a note that at 22 hours the counter jumped to 533.

Going forward the actual running hours is whatever the display shows minus 511.
    533 - 511 = 22

No need to change the ad. The engine really has 22 running hours, despite the incorrect gauge reading.

What I did was just change the ad and took out the time on the HOUR METER, if someone says anything about the amount of hours I will just show them this I printed off the topic so they can see for themselves its a know Polaris fault about the hour meter. Like you said anyone can tell if they know anything about JetSki's that this thing no way has that many hours on it.
    If they dont believe me well then I will keep it and hopefully ride it this year but its not on my to do list. One last question what do you think I could sell it for with the trailer, chin guard, rear step to climb out of the water and the water skiers pole on the back and like I said its in MINT CONDITION.
    THANKS

Hey Tjcos, I have a 2003 Polaris Genesis 1200 also (although 3003).
    I need to replace the TPS also. Where did you find the part?
    And, how tough is it to reinstall?

Thanks

+1
    ... 2002 Genesis i ... what do you think I could sell it for with the trailer? ... MINT CONDITION.
    THANKS
    Ocala, FL 34472 ?

Prices do vary significantly. All depends on finding an interested buyer.

Too bad you are so far away from me, or we would be talking ...

Is this your craigslist ad?
    http://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/2312376605.html

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by madison View Post
    ... I have a 2003 Polaris Genesis 1200 ...
    I need to replace the TPS also. Where did you find the part?
    And, how tough is it to reinstall?...
    New pigtail style TPS seem to be in short supply at the moment.

Start with the Parts Sources listed from my signature links. My understanding is that new production will be come available 'soon', although I don't know when exactly that would be.

Installation details can be found in the Ficht section from my signature links. Not hard to install, just make sure the spring is properly positioned and don't over tighten the small TPS bolts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information