Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kawasaki STX DI 1100 Dash Problems

Hey All

I just replaced a EMM in a STX DI 2003 model. Now the ski runs fine with out any issues but the dash display wont display a tacho reading. When the ignition switch is on and the display is in stand by mode (off) When you start the engine the dash display wont turn on. If you turn the ignition switch off and then on again, and start the engine the dash will stay on (with all functions working except the tacho) for 3 min and then turn off.. When the dash is off the engine still runs fine!
    I have plugged the diagnostics into the ski and the EMM is storing RPM profiles. It just wont give an output to the dash.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I am more familiar with the Polaris version of Ficht, but I imagine that the Kawasaki version is similar.

It sounds like the RPM signal is not getting from the EMM to the display. Check into the connections that carry the RPM signal, see if there is a problem (corrosion, broken wire, loose connector).

Checked that... All seems to be good

I've been working on DI skis for 10+ years and this is the first time I hear something like this. The dash meter thinks the engine is not running even though it is running. That's why it shuts off. The rpm signal is first sent by the Crank Position Sensor. It goes to EMM and EMM sends out to the dash meter.

To check the signal between the CPS and EMM:
    > Hook up the KDIAG and go to the Engine Monitoring page. There you will see the real time engine rpm data going up and down as you are blipping the throttle.

To check the signal from EMM and Dash Meter:
    > Check for 5 volt signal at the pin #35 or grey wire coming out from the large connector at the front side of the EMM when engine is idling. That grey wire carries the rpm signal to the dash. If you hook up an oscilloscope, you will see square wave signal with amplitude of 5 volts and frequency changing as throttle opening changes.

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    I've been working on DI skis for 10+ years and this is the first time I hear something like this. The dash meter thinks the engine is not running even though it is running. That's why it shuts off. The rpm signal is first sent by the Crank Position Sensor. It goes to EMM and EMM sends out to the dash meter.

> Hook up the KDIAG and go to the Engine Monitoring page. There you will see the real time engine rpm data going up and down as you are blipping the throttle.

> Check for 5 volt signal at the pin #35 or grey wire coming out from the large connector at the front side of the EMM when engine is idling. That grey wire carries the rpm signal to the dash. If you hook up an oscilloscope, you will see square wave signal with amplitude of 5 volts and frequency changing as throttle opening changes.
    Cheers for the info. I had a new CPS here so i have tried that and still no change. i will test the voltage output on the grey wire and see what i come up with. Maybe its a internal problem in the EMM. I hope not because it is brand new!!
    Thanks again for the info

Ok i checked the voltage at the grey wire. It fluctuated between 15 and 16 volts at idle. It seems a bit high compared to your spec.

Do you have KDIAG and cable to hook up your EMM to a laptop so that you can view the real-time rpm?

Do you have KDIAG and cable to hook up your EMM to a laptop so that you can view the real-time rpm?
    Yes, Real time RPM is showing up on the computer screen.

Any ideas? i have checked wiring and it is all good.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... The dash meter thinks the engine is not running even though it is running. That's why it shuts off.

The rpm signal is first sent by the Crank Position Sensor. It goes to EMM and EMM sends out to the dash meter.

> Check for 5 volt signal at the pin #35 or grey wire coming out from the large connector at the front side of the EMM when engine is idling.

That grey wire carries the rpm signal to the dash. If you hook up an oscilloscope, you will see square wave signal with amplitude of 5 volts and frequency changing as throttle opening changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ne8one View Post
    ... I checked the voltage at the grey wire. It fluctuated between 15 and 16 volts at idle. It seems a bit high compared to your spec.
    I don't think the grey wire signal can be checked with a volt meter. It is a square wave that changes frequency as RPM changes.

Do you have access to another display unit or EMM to try in this ski?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information