Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Car heater troubleshoot help

2007 Saturn Aura XE

The heater only blows hot air when the car is driving and only blows cold air when stopped. Yes, I do hear the water rushing sound when I accelorate. I have done some brief research and have found two possible causes:

1) Sticky thermostat

2) Air within the cooling/heating system.

I have read the water sound suggests air within the system. Is there a DIY fix, or is this something that requires a dealership visit, or in the case, a certified repair facility (Saturn dealerships closed and have contracted with repair centers).

--Jeremy

+1
    Install an open loop plate and 4" kanaflex. You may have to change the tires for the increased HP.

+1
    A quick fix till you can get it checked out is to place something (like cardboard) to block the air flow across the radiator.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Install an open loop plate and 4" kanaflex. You may have to change the tires for the increased HP.
    lol...No love...I would have expected a technical service repair manuel with step-by-step instructions and standrad to metric size charts attached.

Can we get a moderator to clean this up??? Back on topic, please. PLEASE!!!

is the system down on coolant??? it does sound like you don`t have enough in the system. engine speed slows down, coolant retracts, no warm air, engine speeds up, coolant flows more, you have heat... have you been adding antifreeze to the reservoir bottle lately? where is the coolant level at in the bottle? above, at or below the cold/hot reference line?

on some vehicles it is normal to "hear" coolant flow upon acceleration bc of several factors. less insulation, thin firewall, position of heater core/box etc...
    online diagnostics can be very difficult. so just shooting some ideas...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    A quick fix till you can get it checked out is to place something (like cardboard) to block the air flow across the radiator.
    So do you think a service repair center is necessary?

Beerdart, Can I borrow that piece of cardboard you have stuffed in your ski? I thnk it was seperating the chicken wire from the duct tape.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Cars have heaters Never heard of that.... learn something new everyday...

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    he would still have heat with a fully opened up stat after the motor became fully warm. so placing any restriction in front of the core could actually overheat under driving conditions.
    when loosing temperature at or near idle could be a few possibilities, if the actuator valve when calling for heat is stuck, or vacuum hose has a leak, or if it is electrical, it could be slow to react. I do not know this vehicle, these are just some of the possibilities to look for...
    all else fails, take it to the shop...

how many miles? has the system ever been flushed?

+1
    you have 1 of 3 problems.

its low on coolant, air in the system, clogged heater core. with a bad stat i dont think you would get the on off cold air and you wouldst hear the gurgling . i would check and see if your low on coolant first if its not that then your getting air in the system or you have a clogged/bad heater core.

+1
    65,00 miles...never been flushed. Have'nt been adding coolant to overflow bottle, and can't see the level in the resvoir because I don't have batteries in my flashlight, which I may need to find the generator int he shop IF the electricity goes out tonight becuase of the Winter storn in Central Louisiana. Heading to the auto parts store to get batteries and coolant.

Andy, I did a Google search on heater blows hot air when only when driving and I found where people were mentioning a possibility of air in the heating lines IF there is a water sloshing sound coming from the dashboard area. I do hear this water sloshing.

Back in a few.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information