G

Hi I have a rxpx 2008 with these mods

remapped ecu 8650
    free flow exhaust
    manifold upgrade
    fizzle filter
    riva grate
    stock prop

I don't race but ride hard at lakes and at sea is it worth me getting open loop cooling ???. Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lummy-x View Post
    Hi I have a rxpx 2008 with these mods

remapped ecu 8650
    free flow exhaust
    manifold upgrade
    fizzle filter
    riva grate
    stock prop

I don't race but ride hard at lakes and at sea is it worth me getting open loop cooling ???. Thanks
    Id say yes but for REC riding go with the Riva kit. Les Cookes kit runs the engine too cold in the UK and needs constant oil changes due to cold engine and oil temps, Riva kit has the thermo to keep the engine temps correct.

The Les kit works well for racing as you run the engine very very hard,also oil change after every weekend racing would be good practice so its less of an issue.

R88

R88

+1
    If you don"t CC Race don"t waste your money. Just get a Riva Thermostat upgrade and thats it. I have a Dynotune temp gauge in my mirror on my RXP which Runs a BKIT and RUDE2 with 8600rpm and the other usual mods and it gets no where near hot. I was out last weekend in 39deg c weather and rode for 68 km"s doing heaps of long WOT runs and belting it through the chop and the hottest i have ever seen it is 76 deg c.It was probably the hardest 68km of riding my ski has ever seen because i was testing my 3rd gen shaft seal so i wanted to see if it held up.This is only my opinion but from what i have seen here there is no advantage if you don"t race!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper300 View Post
    If you don"t CC Race don"t waste your money. Just get a Riva Thermostat upgrade and thats it. I have a Dynotune temp gauge in my mirror on my RXP which Runs a BKIT and RUDE2 with 8600rpm and the other usual mods and it gets no where near hot. I was out last weekend in 39deg c weather and rode for 68 km"s doing heaps of long WOT runs and belting it through the chop and the hottest i have ever seen it is 76 deg c.It was probably the hardest 68km of riding my ski has ever seen because i was testing my 3rd gen shaft seal so i wanted to see if it held up.This is only my opinion but from what i have seen here there is no advantage if you don"t race!!!!
    Im impresssed with that, my ski always used to get soo hot and I would lose a lot to heat soak.

R88

Thanks guys !

+1
    Aside from the obvious, what is the difference between the riva open loop kit and the riva thermostat kit. From what I've read, both thermostats open around 165, With the thermostat kit, do you decrease heat fade in long wot runs? Is there a plus side to opening up the cooling system to fresh water? I would have to assume that the open loop kit performs better due to the fact that you always run cool water thru the engine. Does anyone have info on running both?

Open loop was my next planned mod, but I"m moving to an area that I will be operating in salt water. I know that there are plenty of boats that run in salty water and have no issues, and I know I'll have to flush all the time, but just wondering if the thermo kit may be a better option down the road if performance is about the same. Thanks in advance for any input!

Pauly C.

+1
    Most of your rec riders run an open loop configuration or a heat exchanger when they change or modify the OEM plate. Just as stated above, you dont want to run the engine to cool because you'll wind up with fuel in your oil everytime you ride. Thinning the oil with fuel and riding will cause some real adverse affects on your engine internals!!!! Riva does market a real nice open loop setup as with the thermostat upgrade....both are good systems...

Thread Information