newbie here, yamaha gp800 guestion.

I've got an 01 gp800 with a completely unsalvageable engine assembly, what options do I have? The cost of a new engine, carbs, stator, etc... far exceed what the ski is worth. Is swapping in a 1200 an easy endeavor as I've seen those engines more often, if so, what all do I need to change? Thanks for any help.

You Cant swap to a 1200 different everything including motor mount locations in the hull. I have full electrical minus display with flywheel cover and stator. You could get yourself a SBT engine which is a short block and rebuild the carbs and be done. I can sell you all electrical with cover for a couple of hundred. Your engine can be totaled and SBT will accept it including major wholes in the block as a core. Find yourself a good set of carbs or rebuild and your set.. Carbs I sold already.

They will take a core if its even corroded and falling apart? I thought it had to be rebuildable. I will keep you in mind for those pieces, I currently have my 95 seadoo xp for trade on craigslist for a complete gp800 engine, so maybe that will pan out, it not I'll have to sell it and buy an engine.

SBT pretty much takes anything as long as all parts are there. I have reeds for it too if those are shot.

United States
    I have a nice set of carbs for an 800

How much for the carbs? do they have the base plate on?

If anyone hears of someone selling a good Gp800 engine, let me know please, Thanks

Thread Information