Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1997 SLTX stator update installed, not running right.

Ok, so i got the stator update installed on my Polaris SLTX, it seems to be running good on the 1st and 3rd cylinders, but the 2nd cylinder doesnt seem to be running as good. I also noticed my MFD isnt working... also the start button works but the stop button doesnt work.... had to choke it off to get it shut down... any ideas why the middle cylinder isnt running as good. also why would the MFD not be working? Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Does the lanyard stop the engine?

Is the CEN cylinder running at all?

Sounds like you have several issues, which may have separate causes. The MFD is blank - no power? Check or replace the MFD fuse - 1/4 Amp fuse only.

It might not be running at all, the cylinder felt warm so i thought it might be running.... i'll try unhooking the spark plug wire and see if it changes how it runs... i'll have to check on the fuse... thanks

Yeh that cylinder is not running... i unhooked the spark plug wire while it was running and it didnt change anything...

Carefully swap the Center & pto wires.. Start it up at VERY LOW Rpm.. You might have the wires crossed.. DONT CRANK on it for more than 5 seconds or you will load the cylinders with fuel and cause a huge (potentially damaging) backfire. They will run with the the two wires reversed, just not correctly.. BE very careful..

Randy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by taco157 View Post
    Yeh that cylinder is not running... i unhooked the spark plug wire while it was running and it didn't change anything...
    Have a look at this video;

How to figure out which cylinder is dead or weak
    By testing the cylinders one at a time, you can narrow down which cylinder is dead or weak. Ground the ignition wires for all but one cylinder, and see if it will start (you may need to squeeze the throttle to get it to run). If it does, ground that plug wire, and test the next cylinder. Each single cylinder should run the engine about the same.

In this example, there were two problems. Incorrect spark plug firing order, and the PTO carb was missing a part!
    How to figure out which cylinder is dead or weak

Note: That would be Randy himself showing the way

All this and more can be found here;
    Polaris Fuji (blue) engine

Ok so now i just tried running the ski on each cylinder with the others grounded..... each cylinder will run on its own, dont even need to give it gas to get it going.... ( i do have the choke on as my garage temperature is currently -5c)

I cannot switch the PTO and CTR plug wires as the PTO wire will not reach the center piston....

When i start the ski with all 3 cylinders, it starts and idles fine but if you try and give it gas its very slugish and doesnt sound crisp.

Also after running it on 3 cylinders the ctr cylinder just doesnt seem to build the same heat as the other 2... when you take the plugs out steam comes out of hole on each cylinder except for the ctr. But steam will come out of the ctr if you just run it on that cylinder only....

thats alot of details, i just want to tell you everything i see, and i appreciate your guys help alot.

+1
    Put a spark testor on each one and see if it loses spark after you give it alittle throttle i've seen this happen before it's good at idle but it drops out a clyinder when given gas

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by taco157 View Post
    ... I cannot switch the PTO and CTR plug wires as the PTO wire will not reach the center piston....
    A spark tester can also act as an extension cord

10. +1 by:

+1
    I cannot switch the PTO and CTR plug wires as the PTO wire will not reach the center piston....

just loosen up the elect box and move it closer to the motor

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information