Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need some quick answers before purchasing an FZS

Finding out about the FZ bucking issue really threw me for a loop last night. I thought I had done my research, looked at the products available, and made my decision to go with an FZS. Put a deal together on a brand new Crimson Red 2009 leftover model, and only needed to finalize the transaction. Then I found this thread. Holly Crap!!! After reading until 3:00am this morning, I finally had to go to bed and "try" to get some sleep. Didn't work . In my sleep deprived fog, and to help reassure my wife, I really need to verify what I think I learned from my reading.
    1. I don't recall reading of a single instance of bucking occurring with the [email protected] grate. Is this correct?
    2. [email protected] grate is cheaper. Any advantage to the Stainless Riva grate? I do remember about some quality control issue with the Riva holes not lining up correctly though.
    3. If I put on a grate, is there any reason I should still worry about my wife or 14 year old son riding this ski? Slow mode for starters of course.
    4. I planned on buying this because it seemed like a good transition from my highly modified standup that gave me a ruptured disc and several months of lost work. I'm in my mid 40's, and my family depends on me to pay the bills, so I wanted something still fun for an adrenalin junky with less risk of injury. Was I wrong about thinking I'd have less chance of injury on an FZS?
    Thank you for your comments. This site is a wonderful resource for the less informed as myself.

+1
    With the R&D grate and there pump plug kit you are good to go . With this mod the buck had been eliminated!

+1
    1. None that I know of
    2. The older Riva grate had the problems with the bolt holes. The new SS grate has fixed that problem. I peronsally love the R&D grate, it has awesome hookup and it is the grate most guys on the forum use.
    3. As long as you install it correctly you will be fine.
    4. The FZ platform is safe and reliable ski. You have no need to worry with the R&D grate.

People tend to get a little freaked out over the whole bucking issue which is understandable. The aftermarket grate allows the pump to have better waterflow so that when you chop the throttle the water in the pump is evenly distributed which will prevent a buck. Personally, I rode for 25hours on the stock grate no problem and I have 40hours on the R&D grate and love it.

Now go buy the ski and grate! ...and welcome to the forum.

ps- if you do the grate (which I recommend) you might as well install the ppk to go with it as 2fast4u mentioned.

+1
    I have the R&D grate as well @84MPH on my black 09 FZS no problems at all. Very nice and predictable machine. You will love it, Julio...

+1
    Welcome to the forum.

R&D grate was my first mod I did and I've never felt the buck--even though I rode mine for a short while without the grate. Some have been bucked, though.

Install a grate and you'll be fine. I love my FZS!

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    Yep,,,FZS...love it. FYI, 25 hours on the stock grate and never had a problem. I now run the R&D..No worries.

+1
    What exactly is this "bucking"? And is it limited to the FSZ? Im about to buy an FX SHO...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrunner View Post
    What exactly is this "bucking"? And is it limited to the FSZ? Im about to buy an FX SHO...
    The bucking on the FZ models is caused during deceleration when the throttle is chopped. This caused the pump to essientially 'burp' out the excess water it cannot handle which causes the bow of the ski to dig into the water which usually results in the rider being tossed off. This specific problem is limited to the FZ series and NOT the FX SHO.

bought the fzr together with the riva grate and pump seal kit... 30 hours and no issue..

+1
    I see. And i did find the "bucking issue" in a search. Very scarey stuff! My wife and some friends will be riding it as well from time to time and that would suck if something like that happened.

Like the OP, i am looking for a ski for the whole family. And thats why i wanted a 3 seater. Need to have a 3 seater in order to pull a person on skis. State law. And the FX SHO i found is way cheaper than any of the FZs i found.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information