Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXP Hull Lightening?

Hey guys I've been reading on this forum for a while and it's great. I finally became a member just to let you guys know i am building a Turbo RXP from the bottom up. It's in a million pieces now but it's starting to come together.

I was wondering what are your thoughts on lightening the hull, as in cutting the second layer of fiberglass out of the bottom. A guy I know did it to his and it's a big weight difference of about 100 lbs. But I'm kind of scarred of chopping up my hull, what are your thoughts.

+1
    Star with a light hood and seat, then if you still want more buy a lightweight hull, you can cut up the stocker but your just making it weaker, the light hulls are made different and are thinner in less critical areas to save weight .

R88

+1
    IMO it depends on your riding style and water ... if this will be your main/only ski and you want to ride it without any worries about the hull, I would leave it alone. If you are building a smooth water dragster only ... then go for it and look at Steve Reid's thread for ideas and pictures. Extensively lightening the hull will decrease the strength and allow more flex so personally I would not do it for a rec ski that will see some bumpy water. Just my opinion tho ...

Ok good points there is pretty rough water here in Miami, and it's my only ski....for now!

+1
    as stated the manufactured lightweight hulls call take a beating im sure and the FACTORY lightened hulls by REDNECKS like me will NOT.........after removing the inner liner the hull is weaker OBVIOUSLY but if reinforced properly and used for SMOOTH WATER or DRAG racing its the BOMB.......PERIOD..........so if u do want a RUN ALL boat then dont remove the inner liner just do as others have stated.......BINESS!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 070.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	228072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18112008460.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	228073  

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    ya if you are in miami you dont want what reid has done..great drag ski but a few trips across the bay in an average day and you will have to fish for it....

and in miami keep it locked up tight. they dissapear all the time down there..the store sells a nice gps tracking unit...

you get used to it..come out on one of the kissimmi river rides...

i am working on a lightweight hull as well..look at my build thread..eventually it willl all be carbon kevlar..hoping to shave 150 to 200 lbs off the ski and have it able to hold up

200 lbsNiceee yeah and I keep it locked up in the garage

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    as stated the manufactured lightweight hulls call take a beating im sure and the FACTORY lightened hulls by REDNECKS like me will NOT.........after removing the inner liner the hull is weaker OBVIOUSLY but if reinforced properly and used for SMOOTH WATER or DRAG racing its the BOMB.......PERIOD..........so if u do want a RUN ALL boat then dont remove the inner liner just do as others have stated.......BINESS!!!!!!!
    I spent ages looking thru your thread last night looking for the pics of what you had done to your hull, another thing with the light hulls is that they are made withe better/stronger materials, the light hull in the second pic is the exact same thing I'm running.

R88

+1
    A Carbon/Kevlar copy of the RXP is in the works!

Only change that it will have is that the rear will be filled in like if it had RE's where the OPAS go.

+1
    How about truing it and eliminating the big hook in the rear of the hull? Doing that and getting the optimal ride plate design and angle could add significant speed to the hull. Did some looking/measuring again tonight and there is a really big hook back there ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information