Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2007 Honda F12x vs 2009 Yamaha FZS

Thanks to the GreenHulk members setting me strait about the bucking problem on a Yamaha FZS, I'm willing to purchase one again. Another opportunity has also presented itself that I thought I would ask you well versed people about first. While finding a trailer, I saw two 2007 Honda F-12x's (unpacked in 2009), one with 14 hours and the other with 18, each for $6200. I know I can get them for less, and they look like new condition. Having very little time on sit-downs, spending less than $6000 for a 2007 Honda compared to $10.900 for a 2009 FZS is very tempting. I'm on a large lake, so I know on the weekends I'd take more of a beating on the Honda, and the Honda has less power but a lighter weight. I ride 50% smooth water by myself during the week, the other 50% on weekends with rougher water. Is the performance difference going to be worth $5000 for a new sit-down guy? All my time is on a freestyle stand-up.
    Anyone have time on the F-12X and FZS? Looking at it another way, would you rather have two F-12x's for a family of three or one FZS?
    Thank you for your thoughts. I'll post this on both the Honda and Yamaha forums.

+1
    The question i would ask myself is how come you never see anyone on a honda but everyone has a fzs. thats not to say the honda is not a good ski it probobaly is. just something to think about... if you have a family of 3 have you considered the SHO or SHO CRUISER.

+1
    Honduh does not even make a PWC anymore. That should tell you something.

Quote Originally Posted by razzie View Post
    The question i would ask myself is how come you never see anyone on a honda but everyone has a fzs. thats not to say the honda is not a good ski it probobaly is. just something to think about... if you have a family of 3 have you considered the SHO or SHO CRUISER.
    I see lots of people on Hondas. Actually, I see more Hondas here than I do fzr/fzs's.

So the SHO is now the Minivan of ski's LOL....

I considered the Fx's, but I didn't think it would be as fun for me to rip around on as the FZS for the 50%+ time I'd be by myself. The FXSHO's I've seen also cost more than the FZS I found. We already have a boat, so this won't be our only way to get the family on the water. I want the family to be able to participate, but primarily want something I can have fun with as a replacement to my stand-up. I just don't have a clue as to the level of difference between the Honda and Yamaha. If the Honda would still be a blast to ride, I'd rather have two of them for the price of the one FZS. I just don't want to buy something that I would get bored with too quickly.
    In our area, I do see a lot of Honda's around. Obviously not as many as Yamaha's, but they're still fairly common.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
    I considered the Fx's, but I didn't think it would be as fun for me to rip around on as the FZS for the 50%+ time I'd be by myself. The FXSHO's I've seen also cost more than the FZS I found. We already have a boat, so this won't be our only way to get the family on the water. I want the family to be able to participate, but primarily want something I can have fun with as a replacement to my stand-up. I just don't have a clue as to the level of difference between the Honda and Yamaha. If the Honda would still be a blast to ride, I'd rather have two of them for the price of the one FZS. I just don't want to buy something that I would get bored with too quickly.
    In our area, I do see a lot of Honda's around. Obviously not as many as Yamaha's, but they're still fairly common.
    Did you have an aftermarket parts on your stand-up?? Are you considering aftermarket parts for your sitdown?? Better look around at what's available for aftermarket parts for the Honda's.
    The Honda's look good. But, you will be stuck in the mid 50's for top speed. Also, spare parts may become harder and harder to find. Honda did not sell that many PWC's, even though you see a lot in your area.

Do you ride, or plan to ride in the Ocean??
    Why 2 PWC's?? You can only ride one, and I understand the logic behind having another ski for the wife/kids. But, then you will have twice the maintenance, operating costs, and towing expense.

I've never really heard someone describe Honda, and blast, in the same sentence....j/k. The Honda does offer a "dry" ride, is very stable, and does handle rough water fairly well. The Honda is a bit of a "whale" in that it likes to go straight. So, if you plan on carving turns, or running buoys, your going to have to really work at it. Also, the resale value on the used Honda's is pretty bad, and since they don't make them anymore, only going to get worse.
    But, if you notice on this board, the vast majority here ride either; a. Seadoo, or b. Yamaha.

The FZ Yamaha engine will run smoother, it will be around 10mph faster, and if you move into the SHO version, you can have cruise control and adjustable handle bars.
    Also, the Yamaha will handle better, even in rough water.
    A Honda is something you ride when you just want to cruise. A Yamaha is something you buy when you want to haul a$$.......

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, and welcome aboard.

Edit; You may also want to take a look at the new Yamaha VXR and VXS. Same 1.8 liter engine as the FZ, but, without a super-charger. Difference in speed....nil. Difference in price; about 2 grand. Big difference in fuel mileage. FZR=20gph at WOT. VXR=13gph at WOT.
    But.....the VX series does not have trim, so that may be an issue if your carrying a heavy passenger often. Aftermarket solutions to that problem are in the works.

+1
    Mike, I feel your pain. Choosing two skis is definitely the best way to get your family on the water. But it's no fun getting dominated on a little Honda by the supercharged monsters. So do what I did; cough up the money and get two FZ's.

P.S. - Honda mods are few and far between; they never really took off as a popular watercraft and that's why they are no longer being manufactured. if you shop around on PWCTrader.com, you can probably find a couple of nice Yamaha FX or HO models still under extended warranty for $12-13K. At least you will be riding a ski that you can get some mods for later, as opposed to one that is no longer being made.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
    I am.. or was, in the same boat(pun not really intended) as you my friend. I was looking for a good family ski that i could also get on by myself and tear it up. Of all the research i did on all the different brands i came to the conclusion that the Yamaha FX SHO was for me. I'll be 40 in a month and have some past injuries that still bother me now and then. So a stand up was out of the question. And it had to be a stable ski. I needed a 3 seater ski so i can pull a skier(FZ are 2 seaters?). But again, i wanted the power for when im alone.

The cruise control, No Wake Mode, and the trim adjust are just totally awesome features to have in a ski. Im not sure if the Honda or the FZ's have all that but the FX SHO does and more. And you can set the power to a lower setting for when your kids or your 'not as experienced' friends get on it. Or maybe even your wife. And a theft deterant setting that disables the ski in case you dock it and go into the local marina for lunch.

The FZs i see are more expensive than the FX SHO. But thats in my area. Obviously your area is different.

Anyways, wether you go FZ or FX make sure its a Yamaha. They have the best ratings and the best reliability reputation.

Im getting mine in 2 weeks and cant wait! Good luck with your choice!!

Banned User
    +1
    One more thing about the Honda that I remembered; sit on it, and place your feet at the end of the footwells, like your bracing yourself to go over a wave. Is that angle comfortable to you??? It's a very steep angle for me, and was not comfortable to brace/rest my feet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information