2007 Honda F12x vs 2009 Yamaha FZS

Thanks to the GreenHulk members setting me strait about the bucking problem on a Yamaha FZS, I'm willing to purchase one again. Another opportunity has also presented itself that I thought I would ask you well versed people about first. While finding a trailer, I saw two 2007 Honda F-12x's (unpacked in 2009), one with 14 hours and the other with 18, each for $6200. I know I can get them for less, and they look like new condition. Having very little time on sit-downs, spending less than $6000 for a 2007 Honda compared to $10.900 for a 2009 FZS is very tempting. I'm on a large lake, so I know on the weekends I'd take more of a beating on the Honda, and the Honda has less power but a lighter weight. I ride 50% smooth water by myself during the week, the other 50% on weekends with rougher water. Is the performance difference going to be worth $5000 for a new sitdown guy? All my time is on a freestyle stand-up.
    Anyone have time on the F-12X and FZS? Looking at it another way, would you rather have two F-12x's for a family of three or one FZS?
    Thank you for your thoughts. I'll post this on both the Honda and Yamaha forums.

Just answering your last question, I think you would be better off with the 2 skis. I've owned an f12x and ridden and fzr. Performance wise, you can't compare the two. But, you coming from a stand up ski may find the Honda more enjoyable because it is a bit more nimble, i guess you could say. If you were doing 100 percent rough water, I might say go with the fzr. Since the Hondas are used, make sure you check them out or have them checked out. If you are the type who likes to modify their ski[s], go with the Yamaha, as there are a ton more options.

+1
    The F-12x get's GREAT gas consumption and it is a Honda (realiabilty), they aren't the fastest (60 to 62 stock GPS), but I really think you'd be better off having the two ski's for the price of one... I've got an R-12x and love it, it's one of the smaller 4 strokes, and on my smaller lake it fits the bill perfect.

Yamahas are reliable as well. Fuel efficiency definitely goes to the Honda (turbo 1.2 compared to a s/c 1.8 ).

After much thought, I've decided to bite the bullet and go for the Yamaha. Looking at the aftermarket potential and ability to upgrade to my heart's content were big factors in my decision. I do see a second ski sometime in my future for the wife and son, and maybe then I'll look again at the Honda. Thank you all for your feedback.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    ^^^^^^^GOOD CHOICE GOING YAMAHA, you have no support for parts here, and I doubt your pockets are deep enough to afford Nitro parts

Thread Information