Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

GPR pump headaches!!!!

i cant get the pump and shaft to break loose,,i got the pump seperated from the wear ring but the shaft want pull loose from the intermediate shaft,,when i pull on it, it seperates the couplers inside the engine compartment about an inch but thats it,,this whole thing has been one BIG HEADACHE from the very start.

Jeff do you just have the shaft haging on no pump? You took the pump off the shaft? If so putthe pump back on and the bottom corner of the pump there is a little lip you can hit the lip of the pump but be careful the lip sometimes breaks off hit more towards the bottom of pump, it should break loose. also heat the shaft up a little bit they will also help

+1
    gprpitman I think you have misunderstood the problem

I think this is simply the driveshaft splines are stuck inside the intermediate shaft

this sometimes happens - especially if the ski has seen salt water

as suggested you could try heat (careful around the hull)

if you pull too hard you could damage the inside transom (hull) that the intermediate shaft bolts to

I had this happen once, I got tired fighting with it and cut the driveshaft in half

this problem has been discussed in the past you could try doing a search here and on the Riva forum - I seem to recall reading some interesting solutions though I can't remember the details

Hey Phil nope I understand it. If he sprays down inside the shaft real good with that pb blaster and taps on the back of the pump where I said it should budge with the blaster or heat the seals more then likely are shot anyway because this sounds like you have salt water up inside the shaft. When taping the pump with a hammer make sure the hammer is a rubber one.I have had this happen and it was not fun at all to get out, But this is how I got it out others here might have better ideas or easier ones

+1
    oops I misunderstood your post - and yes I have had this happen and I agree not fun at all

+1

pump.

so how far up in this hole is the splines going into the intermediate shaft?and dont even ask what that black goop is cause i dont have a clue.it kinda looks like a foam rubber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump1 002.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	10543  

+1

Pos!!!!!!!!!

well i spent most of the afternoon trying to get this stupid shaft loose from the intermediate shaft with no luck,,i tried everything,,slide hammer,,bolt pb blaster,no luck at all,,i guess im going to have to cut it off,,i already cut the rubber boot off so i could spray the pb blaster on to the splines,,i actually filled the hole completely full of the blaster and left it there,i will try again tomarrow but it looks like i may end up getting a new drive shaft and intermediate shaft.

+1
    Send Spud a PM he has been through this he can tell you what he did.

This happened to me and I spent hrs on it also. I did end up getting it out. I heated up the intermeidate shaft and used 2 of the pump bolts with a nice size chain with the bolts through the chain and with a huge sludje hammer with the chain at the end banged it right out .. End up just replacing the 2 bolts because they were bent.. Good luck!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information