1200 will not restart after being run for a while

I have two 1999 Yamaha XL 1200 LTD’s, they have been converted to pre-mix, the cat has been removed and replaced with a D-plate and resistor, they both have wave eater clips installed. Both ski’s are around 80 hrs. One of the Ski’s is very hard to start up after it has been run for a period of time. I have to let it sit for a while and eventually it will start back up and runs great (some times cutting out at first). The temp light does not come on at any time, It’s inconclusive if playing with the choke helps. The battery will run down when I’m having this problem so I replaced the battery but this did not have an effect on correcting the problem. The ski has no problems starting cold. Any suggestions on probable causes and fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1
    Check fuel filter, check the flapper in the fuel sending unit. I would start there and when all cleared install fuel psi gauge to see what psi u build and hold at. Could be your Vent not working also. Just some ideas. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your reply, I’ve had these ski’s for 4 years and this is the first issue that I’ve had with them…..so I’m a bit of a new-be at repairs, however I am mechanically inclined and actually enjoy troubleshooting problems. I’ll just replace the fuel filter and eliminate it as a variable, and I can check the flapper in the sending unit….no problem, I can purchase a fuel psi gauge and monitor if need be. As far as the vent not working properly, pardon my ignorance but where is this vent located? Thanks again for your reply!!!

+1
    Also something to check pull the plugs when this happens again to see if they are wet or dry. sounds like its flooding.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    If the flapper valve and fuel filter dont do the trick, you may want to concider rebuilding the carbs, they may only have 80 hours of use, but the are also 10 to 11 years old. They do start to dry out and have problems. mine ('01XLT) started doing the exact same thing towards the end of last season. Either way, Its never a bad thing to do for an older ski.

Try not to smile on a Jetski... GPRFrank's Avatar
    +1
    I agree 100% on carb rebuilds. Thats a great idea with these 66v motors. Carbs can cause these motors to pop. Osidebill a Moderator on here is a carb guro. As for the vent it runs off the fuel sending unit on top of the tank and loops up around to a little check valve looking thing mounted under the fairings.

Mine does the same exact thing, I did get Bill to rebuild my carbs. but wont be able to tell you if it worked until, april or so.

Great, thanks for all the relpies, I’ll check all the items mentioned and also look into getting someone to rebuild the carbs for me on both the ski's.

Thread Information