Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Jims plate or kerry package plate

i am wanting to purchase one of these what you call it package plates,are these plates the same thing or is there a difference,which plate would you suggest that is great for handling and speed gains as i will be putting it on a 80 mph +ski ,i do not want this to turn into a pissing contest just real results please

+1
    I thought jim moded the plates for kerry?? may be wrong?

+1
    I've never tried a Kerry's plate, so I don't know how it compares to a Jim's plate. I have a Jim's plate on my ski right now and I will never part with it. Its fast, keeps the boat in a straight line, great for turning (better hold on as it will turn), and the turnaround time on getting the plate back is extremely fast. If I had another GPR it would get a Jim's plate on it. The first mod I would do to it.
    SHOOTER

+1
    All of the vendors selling plates do their own mods.

The plates are similar in concept but their implementation is different.

All of these plates work well - typically a 4 mph gain on flat water.

If I have it straight it goes like this:

The idea behind the Fernando "package" plate was you had to pay a fee to Fernando and you could then you could buy a plate cut to his specs from Jim.

If you buy a Kerry "package" plate (he does his own work, not Jim) he sells you the plate cut to his specs and then he'll help you with your ski set-up for free.

Carl at Island Racing is another vendor that offers rideplate mods.

Which is faster?

As far as I can tell Kerry's ski is 5 mph faster than everyone else. He uses his own plate.

The fastest single pipe skis I know of use either an Island Racing plate or a Kerry plate.

There were a lot of J plates sold this year but from what I can tell this was mostly because

1) these plates looked so sweet (they really are the best looking plate you can buy)

2) there was a lot of hype about these plates (but very little testing)

I do own all of these plates. (though my Kerry plate is a little dated).
    Last edited by philip_gpr; 11-11-2006 at 10:53 PM.

+1
    I have used and seen all of these plates and Jim's was of the best
    quality. It is up to the user to set it up for the best speed or handling
    as per whatever package they have.

Jim is using a cnc where others are doing it by hand with a grinder and
    belt sander.

Not starting anything just the facts.

Kerry is the fastest! and gives info with his plate!

+1
    I use a Jim's plate cut to my specs on all of my ski's. With the center cut
    that Jim does makes the skeg plate the best handling plate over 80 mph.
    I have tested the same plates without the center cut and it doesn't track
    and hold the water as good at over 85 mph. No matter what plate you use it will only be as good as the tunner is able to make the setup. The magic and speed comes from a complete setup. My 1300cc motor is going faster than any other competitor has gone with the same size motor. There is no reason to compare plates on single pipes and triple pipe boats when some of them are running 1400 to 1500 cc plus motors. The only true way to tell is to do back to back test on the same boat. Then your winner will only be the one that happens to have the correct angle for the mods the boat is running. So I would pick a plate based on how its being machined,
    the Jim's plate is my choice because of the detail and the high quality work that is being put into a product. If you can't get this plate to work,
    then the tunner or setup person is the problem. Thats why all of my work is done in house, there are a number of things that must be correct or you
    will never get your results. Good luck with your project. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by philip_gpr View Post
    All of the vendors selling plates do their own mods.

If I have it straight it goes like this:

The idea behind the Fernando "package" plate was you had to pay a fee to Fernando and you could then you could buy a plate cut to his specs from Jim.

If you buy a Kerry "package" plate (he does his own work, not Jim) he sells you the plate cut to his specs and then he'll help you with your ski set-up for free.

As far as I can tell Kerry's ski is 5 mph faster than everyone else. He uses his own plate.

The fastest single pipe skis I know of use either an Island Racing plate or a Kerry plate.

There were a lot of J plates sold this year but from what I can tell this was mostly because

1) these plates looked so sweet (they really are the best looking plate you can buy)

2) there was a lot of hype about these plates (but very little testing)

I do own all of these plates. (though my Kerry plate is a little dated).
    Phillip your post comes across like a bashing to me. I would like to see post about your actual results since you seem to have written the book on how to make a ski go fast. Your make Jims plate sound like if it was a FAD and a SCAM that just went away and was nothing but a hype and a way for me to sell a package. You seem to be heading one direction these days and its not hard to figure out what your intentions are, I just dont understand why. Is it because you have not been able to break 77??

Jim always had the plate but the one that he cut for my setup was a bit different, the principle was the same.

Jims plate will track and turn much better than any other plate that I have used. Ben currently have a plate from me with the original cut and specs that I paid Kerry for and it did not work for him as good as the one from Jim. At this moment I would have to take Ben's unbiased results as the most accurate one.

One more thing Jim will also assist you with your handling setup to make the ski as stable and fast as possible. One of the fastest single 1300 single pipers is in Tampa and uses my package setup, TJ's porting and Jim's plate, surpassing 81 MPH and it belongs to Leo, the fastest 1300 are in NC and they belong to the Fountain Boys, they cut their own plate.

The fastest 1300 Triple Piper that I know of belongs to Ben Herman and he also uses Jim's plate

Jim's plate is actually an excellent overall performer.

Good luck with your quest for the best plate!!!
    Last edited by Fercho; 11-12-2006 at 12:59 AM.

+1

Wink

joe, i have only just fitted my package spec plate from kerry, i can NOT comment on any others as i only have his and my 4 modded plates,i spent a lot of time and money machining plates and got slower and poorer,so i came to the forum and asked whos plate to buy, dozens of pm's later i just picked one as was getting involved in too many polotics,it was machined for me and sent to the uk,once fitted a gps gain of 4 to 4.5 mph in slight chop 5-7 inches, it was a small grind job to pump as do all the others i ASSUME and bolted up and away,this plate retains its skeggs as many of my home made ones did not, and handles very well even in the rougher conditions,i have since fitted a standard R&D not modded and could not notice any diffrence other than speed loss,so in conclusion i am VERY happy with plate and even if offered double for it in the uk would not part,it gave me a kick up the arse with getting on with my modds and a boost to go buy more stuff which thanks to jerry is on its way,if like me you go with kerry, which i would like to add dont mean i stand only in one courner as they are all great men and i admire them all for there skill and balls the size of cannon ballls, i think you will be very happy and enjoy ever mph gained who ever you pick..p.s my plate works suberb with modded 800 grate as the 1200 dont do it justice.. best run so far fuel beeper on, un ported,injected,no e.f.i(yet),no power filter (yet)..73.4

+1
    Lets keep this thread constructive

+1
    Its constructive, don't see what the problem is.
    As far as ride plates go, the only way to really know which one is the best, buy them all, try them all on YOUR boat, then decide which one you want to keep. I know its a lot of money, but all of us can tell you to buy this or that, but you will probably be better off trying them all out. That way, you know which one truly works best on your ski.
    SHOOTER

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information