I received that letter too. Bummer.

+1
    That sucks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by baba booey View Post
    I received that letter too. Bummer.
    What exactly does the letter say?

The AWA web site doesn't mention any change to Ride magazine.

"Unfortunately, we have reached the same point that our fellow personal watercraft publications experienced recently, we can no longer, under the current economic environment, afford to publish RIDE at the expense of our primary role, the PWC communities access watchdog" Plus some other talk about lack of advertising dollars

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    January 25, 2011

Dear AWA Member,

Like many non-profit organizations across our nation, your AWA has faced its share of budget challenges.
    Unlike some entities, this Association cannot ethically run a deficit, nor incur any debt.

In keeping with these sound fiscal policies we were forced to curtail issues and page counts of the member's magazine Ride. These reductions were as disappointing as they were necessary. As the economy contracted over the past few years, the Association continued to fund Ride PWC Magazine, often at a net loss. Unfortunately, we have reached the same point that our fellow personal watercraft publications experienced recently; we can no longer, under the current economic environment, afford to publish Ride at the expense of our primary role; the PWC communities' access watchdog.

This is a matter of dollars and cents. We have long extolled the generosity of our advertisers to the membership. Every dollar they invested on the pages of Ride freed up a dollar to directly support our legislative and educational programs. Those efforts are the very purpose of AWA's mission and we will continue to operate in this direct action role until the ugly specter of boating access discrimination is abolished.

There are simply not enough advertising pages to support the publication.

This is not a decision we take lightly. The eight time award winning Ride set a standard of inclusiveness and outreach in the personal watercraft community. However, when it comes to PWC access protection and expansion, the Association must focus on what is truly important to our membership at large.

We share in the disappointment of this outcome. I assure you we have made every effort to forestall this action. In the end, it is the responsible thing to do given the current economic reality.

The AWA has always been more than just a fancy magazine and I urge you to maintain your membership in the Association when it comes up for renewal. AWA membership is a statement about your freedom to ride America's public waterways. We are the only voice for personal watercraft owners in the nation.

We are exploring options for an online version of Ride, and will increase member communications via different sources. We urge you to log on to American Watercraft Association - Ride PWC Magazine and add your email address if you haven't already so we can continue to communicate issues of access interest. Yet sadly, until the business environment improves, we have no choice but to suspend the publication of Ride.

If you have further questions, please contact us directly via the information listed below.

Think Free. Live Free. Ride Free.

Chris Manthos

P.O. Box 1993 • Ashburn, VA 20147 . Phone (800) 913-2921 • Fax (703) 777-1566 • American Watercraft Association - Ride PWC Magazine
    American Watercraft Association
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    I got the same letter too (now that I got my first and last Ride magazine).

It would be nice if they just did some sort of "online" newsletter that could be downloaded. The biggest expense of a newsletter/magazine is the printing and postage. If they could do the same in an electronic format, that would reduce the cost considerable and they could still keep the "advertisers" happy.

That's my 2 cents anyway...

I know they want everybody to become a member. The only way to get the mag is to become a member. Im sure they would sell a lot more mags if they put them on the news stands. The last issue had an article on a ride I did. Several people on the ride wanted copies. Could not get them.

Unfortunatly they are going to lose alot of members without the magazine

Thread Information