Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy 1999 X-45 Running trouble

Hey guys,

Im having a bit of trouble with my X-45.

When i start it, it starts on all three cylinders, but as soon as its ignited it drops down to two, the thrid one will not produce a spark at all..... any ideas on what this could be from?

Its the one in on the head that is closest to the impellor, it also comes out of the centre of the ignition box,

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'm not sure if the domestics have removable spark plug boots like the Fuji's do. If so, have you tried removing the spark plug boot, cutting the wire back about 1/4" to expose fresh wire, and rescrewing the plug boot back on?

Alot of times this works for the Fuji (blue engines)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Taites View Post
    ... X-45.

... it starts on all three cylinders, but as soon as its ignited it drops down to two, the third one will not produce a spark at all...

Its the one in on the head that is closest to the impeller, it also comes out of the centre of the ignition box,
    The cylinder at the rear of the engine is PTO. Front is MAG, the middle cylinder is CEN.

Are you saying the PTO spark plug has spark when cranking, but once the engine is running the PTO cylinder does not have spark?

Note: The 1999 X-45 was the very first year for the 1200 engine, and the only other model it appeared in was the 1999 Genesis. 1999 was also the very first year (and only on the 1200 engine) for the Gen III version of the ignition system.

yip thats right, she cranks with all three then just after its started 2 -3 seconds it drops out, it does have a removable boot, and it was cut back but still didnt improve anything

any ideas on what ta do? K447 your pretty clued up! you should know! thanks in advance

+1

Arrow Swapping ignition paths to identify domestic engine bad coil, CDI, or stator sensor

... cranks with all three then just after its started 2 -3 seconds it drops out...
    You can narrow down which component is causing the problem by changing which electrical 'path' the PTO signal takes from stator to spark plug.

First check the ignition coil
    Open the electrical box, and swap the primary ignition coil wires for PTO (Black/Green) and CEN (Black/Blue) cylinders. Leave the MAG (Yellow/Red) ignition coil wire and the Black/White wires unchanged.

Also swap the spark plug wires between PTO and CEN cylinders. Test the engine.

Does the problem move to the CEN cylinder, or stay with the PTO?

If the problem moves, then the PTO ignition coil (or the plug wire) is the problem. Replace the coil and plug wire, and put the swapped wires back to normal.
    If the problem stays with the PTO, then check the CDI
    Put just the primary ignition coil wires back as they were. Leave the PTO & CEN spark plug wires swapped.

Now swap the Stator PTO (Green) and CEN (Blue) wires that feed into the CDI. Leave the MAG (Red) stator wire unchanged.

Does the problem now move to the CEN cylinder, or stay with the PTO?

If the problem moves, then the CDI has a problem. You may need to replace the CDI
    If the problem stays with the PTO cylinder, then the stator Hall Effect Sensor for the PTO has a problem. You may need to replace or rebuild the stator

How do i check to see the resistance of ym spark plug leads (to see if they are faulty) when they are fused into the ignition coil??

This also brings me to ym second question of how do i test the ignition coil with the plug wires fused into it??

Okay update:

Tonight i done some testing :-Between Spark plug cap and engine ground - MAG - 10.54KOhm, CEN - 9.26 KOhm, PTO - O.L (open circuit)
    I also did the MAG, CEN and PTO Plug wire Resistance (Through the output on the coil as it is fixed) and the only one that appeared to be open crcuit was the PTO.
    Exciter Coil (Black to Purple) - 5.7 Ohms
    Batt Charging Coil - (Yellow to Red/Purple) - 0.8 Ohms

K447 - As it is 11pm i am unable to start the engne upp - however i will tomrow.
    I have already swapped the primary ignition coil wires for PTO (Black/Green) and CEN (Black/Blue) cylinders so all i need to do is turn it over and see if the CEN is now not sparking, if this is to be correct, does this emans the fault is the PTO Output of the Coil?

If so - Where can i get a new Unit from- as all 3 are fused into the moulded unit.

Thanks in advance
    Trigger Coil (Hall effect Sensor) - Red, Blue, Green, Gray to Ground - O.L ( Open circuit)

+1
    ... Between Spark plug cap and engine ground PTO - O.L (open circuit)...
    That would be a problem, right there. Fix that problem first.

Looks like it may be time for a replacement ignition coil pack. First check that ALL the ignition coil ground wires are indeed grounded, with nothing broken, crushed or corroded.

It might just be the PTO spark plug wire itself that has gone bad. You can ohm test the plug wires separately.

You may be able to purchase an entire used coil pack + wires inexpensively.

A new 4010342 (substitute for 4010174) coil pack is $122

+1
    Between Spark plug cap and engine ground - MAG - 10.54KOhm, CEN - 9.26 KOhm, PTO - O.L (open circuit)
    I also did the MAG, CEN and PTO Plug wire Resistance (Through the output on the coil as it is fixed) and the only one that appeared to be open crcuit was the PTO.
    - as all 3 are fused into the moulded unit.
    The 9-10k readings seem high,absolutely check all the connections.
    There are 2 coil designs for the 3 cyl's.

The coil that you should have in the X45- should have a small rubber boot where the plug wire meets the coil. The plug wires snap onto a post inside that connection. It uses a metal-spring loaded-ring. It holds very well,but it will pull off. Try spinning the wire to make sure the wire isn't rusted to the post.
    The plug wires are sold seperately,from the coil.
    You need to measure the plug wires/coil seperately and find what is open.

Hey K447- where would i be able to purchase that coil pack from? ive noticed that the green/black wire and the yellow/brn wire have been squased and the copper exposed, but they aint shorting outon n e thing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information