Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

ventrui on ride plate

had a thought this weekend..the step is there cut the surface tension.get the water rolling..and crates a low pressure area...and draws air in under the hull from the side of the boat...to add air bubbles to the bottom ...they act like ball berrings..and reduce drag...we cant add air before the prop because it will cause cavitation...but behind the prop should be fine..so i added these... they are venturies..that will suck air from the top of the ride plate in from the area where the pump bolts..initally they are under water so shouldnt cause any cavitation issues..when on plane that area is clear of any water..so it would suck air from the top and add it to the bottom...should reduce drag..the only thing i am not sure of is will it make it to loose in the turns..i can add more sponson for that....or reduce lift...worst case ..weld them back in ...thought it was worth a try ...anybody ever tried it..or anybody got thoughts...reworking the bottom of my new hull ill duratech and gelcoat the plate tomarow...looks like crap now...

+1
    Why not do the same to the ride plate bolt holes too.......chamfer the trailing part of the holes, at least to the 4 outer ones.

i went with counter sunk alen heads when i modified my plate to match my new hull so they are flush..

Banned User
    +1
    Subscribed. Please update with test!!

This would be interesting concept

Banned User
    +1
    Initial thoughts are it will make it unstable in turns but hell what do i know im just as interested as you are to find out. Way to be innovative! Keep us posted

+1
    Here is a thread discussing the same principle. >>>http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/yama...ree-speed.html

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Here is a thread discussing the same principle. >>>http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/yama...ree-speed.html
    huh that was interesting..i knew i wasnt the first .about everything you can imagine and alot you cant has been tried...just not something you see ..

i had thought about the handleing a little thinking i could tap the holes and run hoses up and make some sort of valve that closes when trimmed down ..not letting air into the venturies...but dont want to make it more complicated than it needs to be. when a little more sponson may give it the side to side grip to overcome it..

i had also thought about putting small through hull fitting.in the back of the step huge low pressure area....and running a hose inside the hull to another fitting to the side near the sponson so when you turn the inlet dips in the water cutting off the air..but the step system has been proven to work on big power boats...but boats without steps usually turn better.....

just thinking...i have alot of unorthadox things going on on my boat right now..with my hull i am building...sometime things will work sometimes they wont..just gotta try things...

huh, that's a pretty interesting idea! i like the thinking outside the box approach. it would be cool to be able to test them at different distances from the front of the plate.

+1
    No No No - the World is flat - you'll fall off if you try to go to the edge!!!

Rock on!

+1
    Here's my thought after reading the link to "Free Speed", and the below:

For those using a heat exchanger, use a stock ride plate, using the 2 cooling connectors as "air injectors", attaching a hose to each, & connected to an air source from outside the hull (ram air), and drill a bunch of holes in the ride plate as you did in the first posting...................

Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    huh that was interesting..i knew i wasnt the first .about everything you can imagine and alot you cant has been tried...just not something you see ..

i had thought about the handleing a little thinking i could tap the holes and run hoses up and make some sort of valve that closes when trimmed down ..not letting air into the venturies...but dont want to make it more complicated than it needs to be. when a little more sponson may give it the side to side grip to overcome it..

i had also thought about putting small through hull fitting.in the back of the step huge low pressure area....and running a hose inside the hull to another fitting to the side near the sponson so when you turn the inlet dips in the water cutting off the air..but the step system has been proven to work on big power boats...but boats without steps usually turn better.....

just thinking...i have alot of unorthadox things going on on my boat right now..with my hull i am building...sometime things will work sometimes they wont..just gotta try things...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information