Advice: Potential buyer of MSX140 '03

Heya!

Im a first time buyer of jet ski's and know very little about them. I understand how they work and ahave a basic working knowledge of engines but am unaware of exactly what to look for when buying used skis. I would just like to make sure that i dont end up with duds.

This is the info I have so far
    The MSX140 has been kept inside and under a cover throughout its life
    only used less then 50 hours (which is remarkable if my readings online are correct)
    no salt water use
    no maintenance done other than battery and oil

From reading about this model, i understand there were a number of recalls and because polaris no longer makes skis, i assume that i can no longer get these done since it sounds like they havent been done. Is that correct?
    What other things should i look for/ask?
    Is the MSX 140 2003 a reliable vehicle? (as long as proper care/maintenance is taken?)
    can i perform the work needed to address the recall concerns?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    puma

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by madpuma13 View Post
    ...I'm a first time buyer of jet ski's and know very little about them. I understand how they work and have a basic working knowledge of engines but am unaware of exactly what to look for when buying used skis. I would just like to make sure that i don't end up with duds.

This is the info I have so far
    The MSX140 has been kept inside and under a cover throughout its life
    only used less then 50 hours (which is remarkable if my readings online are correct)
    no salt water use
    no maintenance done other than battery and oil

From reading about this model, i understand there were a number of recalls and because Polaris no longer makes skis, I assume that i can no longer get these done since it sounds like they haven't been done. Is that correct?
    What other things should i look for/ask?
    Is the MSX 140 2003 a reliable vehicle? (as long as proper care/maintenance is taken?)
    can i perform the work needed to address the recall concerns?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    puma
    Welcome to the Hulk

I presume you have seen this recent thread;
    newbie about to buy a 2004 Polaris MSX 140

Do you have photos, or have you seen in person the flame arrestor cover? Typically if a Polaris authorized service shop did the updates they would put square stickers on the side of the flame arrestor, identifying which updates have been done.

Alternatively you can call a Polaris dealer and have them check the HIN number from the rear deck of the hull. Polaris maintains a database of every unit and what updates have been done by authorized dealers. Service work done by non-official repair shops would not be listed.

If you don't have a Polaris dealer to call, perhaps you can post the HIN number here, and one of our dealer connected GH members can check into it for you. Or just ask, and you may get a Private Message offering help

You can still get the updates done, just that Polaris no longer pays for the work (that coverage ended in 2010). In some cases the Service Bulletin work is an inspection/check or simple change/repair. It depends on what is needed for that particular unit.

On these 2-stroke engines, oil is not a maintenance item. Oil is consumed by the engine in normal operation, just like gasoline (just at a slower rate). You refill the oil tank (a few quarts) after every so many hours of operation. In general you will burn oil at about 1/80th the rate you use gasoline.

I generally 'top off' my oil tank after using a few tanks of gasoline, or whenever I think of it before I go riding. Takes only a minute to do.

Do take the time to look through my signature links.

We have found our own MSX 140 to be an enjoyable machine to own, and to ride. It is important to understand that with any used PWC, even with low engine hours, that the actual current condition of the machine is more important that the engine hours or the apparent good practices of the previous owner.

You need to check the basics like engine compression, hull damage, and so on. And you need to assume that it WILL require some service work. Even if it is just to pull some things apart to check for wear or rust.

The Ficht engines are quite economical on fuel, for a PWC. Easy starting, long cruise range, good ride and handling especially in medium-rough water.

There are a few known issues, but that is true of almost every brand and model. And the upside is that the info to deal with them is available around here.

Hello mate I also have a Polaris msx140 ski it is 2004 1005 only has 50 to 60 hrs on clock one owner from new that's me and my dad I have never had any trouble with mine it is very tidy very very clean never been used in salt water looks like new all serviced and up to date data taged I am looking to sell mine as my dad is getting older now and is abit past it so I can't afford to do it on my own me and my dad used to go half each I am looking for about £2700 for mine witch is a good price any way masg me would like to talk more

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tresy007 View Post
    Hello mate I also have a Polaris msx140 ski it is 2004 1005 only has 50 to 60 hrs on clock one owner from new that's me and my dad

I have never had any trouble with mine it is very tidy very very clean never been used in salt water looks like new all serviced and up to date data tagged

I am looking to sell mine as my dad is getting older now and is abit past it so I can't afford to do it on my own me and my dad used to go half each

I am looking for about £2700 for mine witch is a good price any way msg me would like to talk more
    Welcome to the Hulk

Please be aware that Greenhulk has rules regarding new members offering items for sale.

Please update your user Profile (top right of the web page) to show your location

Thread Information