Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

how long between the oil alarm going off and your engine is toast on oil injection?

This question should be on people's mind if they take long trips or get carried away riding and maybe haven't tapped off that morning...being a highly modified ski of course makes the gas/oil burn much more...and there's no open marina for lets say 15-20 miles..how many mins/miles to marina or launch you think

+1
    If it's as conservative as the low fuel warning, I don't think you really need to worry about it. There's 5 gallons, 1/3 tank, when low fuel comes on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JKR1300 View Post
    If it's as conservative as the low fuel warning, I don't think you really need to worry about it. There's 5 gallons, 1/3 tank, when low fuel comes on.
    Yep sounds right for the fuel...when I would come back to the dock on the fuel buzzer, I would fill up putting in about 10-11 gal. of fuel for the next ride...so a 15.9 gal tank minus roughly 11 gal of fuel...last yr got carried away on a long run...didn't tap off oil that morning... oil alarm/beeping came on as I was heading back,luckly was only 2-3 miles/10 mins away from a marina....been said many times on GH... highly modified 2 strokes especially with a fuel controller are gonna burn way more fuel that in stock form...

Just get in the habit of ALWAYS topping the oil tank off. Especially if you're going on a long ride. My ski isn't injected, but I always top off my snowmobile before leaving. I usually carry an extra quart with me as well, just in case. Running with the tank low can let air bubbles get into the oil line.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Just get in the habit of ALWAYS topping the oil tank off. Especially if you're going on a long ride. My ski isn't injected, but I always top off my snowmobile before leaving. I usually carry an extra quart with me as well, just in case. Running with the tank low can let air bubbles get into the oil line.
    exactly!

Dave Dave Dave, Com`on Dave!,,,
    running low on oil allows the oil to bounce and aerate like PN said!.
    I think Dave is trying to blow up his ski so he can upgrade

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    exactly!

Dave Dave Dave, Com`on Dave!,,,
    running low on oil allows the oil to bounce and aerate like PN said!.
    I think Dave is trying to blow up his ski so he can upgrade
    no no no you got it wrong...this was one time last summer...knew I had not tapped off that morning but went for an unexpected long ride...but knew I was a reasonable distance from a gas station since I would need gas....just trying to get a time frame and or distance frame on this subject...

Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    no no no you got it wrong...this was one time last summer...knew I had not tapped off that morning but went for an unexpected long ride...but knew I was a reasonable distance from a gas station since I would need gas....just trying to get a time frame and or distance frame on this subject...
    hahahaha, well the bottom line is to not let the oil run low bc you do risk a BOOM. for future ride, just carry a quart bottle or tie a string around your finger...lol...
    I understand what your saying, you simply want to know the distanced traveled until a disaster strikes. I don`t think anyone here could really answer that one...most of us do a pre ride inspection bc a mistake like that can cost you an engine... I really don`t know if the ecu limits engine function when that alarm goes off to prevent engine damage as i have not been there.
    maybe you should consider premix now dave...

+1
    i always top off my oil in my 800 before i go out but i get about 2 1/2-3 tanks of gas out of my oil tank. which translates into about 6-8 hours of riding depending on how hard im riding when i go out with my dad my gas seems to last for ever LOL. but i always carry a extra quart of oil in each ski just in case.

+1
    just not getting the answer i'm looking for...its not about tapping off, we know that..just this one time where I traveled much more miles than expected...JKR1300 reasoning seems rational..when the sensor is activated in the oil module there's maybe a 10-15 mile limit.. maybe...maybe someone had some hard facts thats all..

Not many people willing to ride their ski low on oil, to see how far they can get before air gets into the oil lines...If my oil light was going off, I'd lift the hood and take a visual on the oil tank. If there is a decent amount, and you have to get home, keep riding.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information