Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha gp1300r over heat

Hi Im new to the forum and today I was on my wave runner a gp1300r and it over heated and possibly caught fire. the intake was clean and had it towed in and is in the shop any thoughts about what might have happened. Luckily I still have the warranty. thanks for your help

+1
    Welcome to the forum. Overheat issue could be from a clogged water line, pump strainer etc.... not getting water to the engine to cool it. What do you mean it might have caught fire? Is the cat-con still there or D plate? What year?

Thanks for the response its a 2007 gp1300r about 62 hours and its completly stock so im guessing it has the cat-con. and after the warning siren came on it shut off and i saw some dark grey smoke so i thought i should shoot it with the fire ext. just to be sure because i was in the ocean alone

+1
    Dark grey smoke or was it steam?

it was a combo of both the smoke was coming from the right side under the exhaust near the carbs and the steam was coming from the cylinder heads and all the engine and exhaust metal change to a darker color

Quote Originally Posted by jason561 View Post
    it was a combo of both the smoke was coming from the right side under the exhaust near the carbs and the steam was coming from the cylinder heads and all the engine and exhaust metal change to a darker color
    ooof!!! pics would be a good idea here, but this sounds like several things could have happened. the question is what came first, the chicken or the egg!?

was water the culprit? oil line lead to engine damage? was the ski running fine before it shut off?
    smoke coming from under the stinger doesn`t sound good at all? it`s anyone`s guess here now...
    let us know what the repair shop finds... fire extinguisher>ooof!... discoloration of the parts indicate it really got hot, and sounds like this could be costly...good luck...

the ski was running fine before it shut off. dont have any pics but today the repair shop told me that one of the cooling hoses to the engine had come off (which answers why the ski was slowly starting to sink and the bilge pump was not working) after that he said that the metal fitting that held this hose had melted off not sure which came first hose coming off or metal fitting melting off still confusing to me. he also said that the third cylinder (rear cylinder) suffered a cesure causing the compression to drop 10 pounds. They have to order parts and after it in working condition they are going to see if the engine suffered any damage. they said that an engine rebuild will probly not be covered under the factory warrenty but i think it should because one thing lead to another. also the cat-con was in tact

Quote Originally Posted by jason561 View Post
    the ski was running fine before it shut off. dont have any pics but today the repair shop told me that one of the cooling hoses to the engine had come off (which answers why the ski was slowly starting to sink and the bilge pump was not working) after that he said that the metal fitting that held this hose had melted off not sure which came first hose coming off or metal fitting melting off still confusing to me. he also said that the third cylinder (rear cylinder) suffered a cesure causing the compression to drop 10 pounds. They have to order parts and after it in working condition they are going to see if the engine suffered any damage. they said that an engine rebuild will probly not be covered under the factory warrenty but i think it should because one thing lead to another. also the cat-con was in tact
    as long as the ski was properly maintained why wouldn`t it be covered under warranty...
    they are wasting their time fooling around with putting a bandaid on this engine.. if it got that hot it is TOAST, regardless of repairing the seized cylinder. also there are other rubber parts, crank seals, intakes boots etc that also could be damaged... for them to do at least 1K worth of repair just to start it up and "see" if it is repairable is just wasting your time and money!, just my 2 cents worth...
    read the forum and you`ll see that the 1300 does not like to be overheated...
    the engine should be thoroughly disassembled and everything checked from crank, case, intake boots, warped head, and to see if the reeds haven`t been damage etc... when that alarm go off, it`s already to late...

good luck bro!...

thanks for your response and opinion

I've been thinking one thing is that this ski wont ever be the same

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information