Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

miker1 82.7 overstuff what happenned

I would like to use this tread so this to see if WE could come uo with ideas of what happened to attempt to prevent this from happening again. I believe in this case it may have been a combination of little errors and not one big one. I am a safety first person and dont take shortcuts. The speeds I have done has been done numerous times before by me and other perons on the forum. So what happened maybe somebody can see from the setup.

My setup
    Hull.-Intake grate- riva stainless
    -Rideplate- worx( fitted with no washers straight to hull and filled holes with silicone)
    -Resealed transom as per Gerry's build and lifted the pump to the locaters on the hull and in doing this the pump sits about 3mm up.
    13/25 skat.
    riva sponsons middle setting

So went to test the [email protected] plate and the Worx plate back to back to see the speed diff.
    I had the worx on at the time of the crash otherwise the crash would have been faster.

I also had changed the rpm limit on my Vipec as when I previously tested the [email protected] cone and the Tbm pump cone and that the limiter was affecting my tests, so I just wanted tomake sure that the limiter does not come into play... I changed the limit to 8900 and aslo adjusted the limit control funtion that comes with new vipec software.

Well on the test day I warmed the ski up and then went Full throttle. Well I quickly hit the limiter and held back a little to go full throttle again , limiter again held back a little and went again It hit the limiter and then turned and chucked me off.

After catching my breath and my swimming trunks floating in the water I got back on and road it to where the ambulance was waiting so there was nothing wrong with the motor. I looked at the Gps before getting(I am l telling lies I was helped in groaning like a wounded lion) in the ambulance showing82.7.

I have been faster 85 with same setup minus the transom seal and worx plate with a buggered 13/26 prop.

I have not checked the ski or looked at the data, i will do that in the next couple of days.

Could it Bees.
    Could it be the fact that the riva grate is now sitting higher after the transom reseal?
    The rev limiter wont make it overstuff but it would help towards it?
    When I rode the last time I thought it wanted to pull A little left after letting the throttle go at speed I only remembered that after the crash.

Test conditions perfect mirror water 28deg air 30 water.

It would be of great benefit if somebody can point me in the right direction..

+1
    is this the first time riding it after u resealed transom and where the grate is sitting higher?did the ass end lift on u?i came off mine doing 76mph full superman position i no its not fun and makes u wonder what the hell went wrong in my case i believe it had to do with the plate i was running at the time to much lift

Miker I am going to throw one more "could be" in the mix here. Could it be that the pump tunnel is just not capable of "processing" any more water at these mid 80 mph speeds? Water has a defined mass to it, and the faster you go the more you are "loading" the front of the pump tunnel with water. Now theoretically, the faster you go you should also be pushing more water out the back of the pump . . . but somewhere along the way here it seems logical to me that your "water in" and "water out" is out of balance. You may well need to make the pump tunnel bigger, and put a bigger pump / nozzle on the back?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Miker I am going to throw one more "could be" in the mix here. Could it be that the pump tunnel is just not capable of "processing" any more water at these mid 80 mph speeds? Water has a defined mass to it, and the faster you go the more you are "loading" the front of the pump tunnel with water. Now theoretically, the faster you go you should also be pushing more water out the back of the pump . . . but somewhere along the way here it seems logical to me that your "water in" and "water out" is out of balance. You may well need to make the pump tunnel bigger, and put a bigger pump / nozzle on the back?

I agree with the above.

Hence why I've gone a seadoo pump kit on my FZR now. Ive gone to the dark side.
    Last edited by RichieFZR; 02-08-2011 at 09:43 PM. Reason: l

Obviously going to be a lot of things to check, but what pops in my head immediately is ride plate angle. I've had a few suprises myself when I had no washers on Jims plate the first few times out on my SHO.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by miker1 View Post
    -Resealed transom as per Gerry's build and lifted the pump to the locaters on the hull and in doing this the pump sits about 3mm up.
    Mike, was your transom plate not pushed all the way up on the locators originally?
    Or did you trim off the locator tabs to get the transom plate to fit higher up?

+1
    John, I don't think this is the cause of Mike's stuff. There have been plenty of FZR's hit 90+ already with no stuffing issues whatsoever. Even on my FZR I could go 86+ and chop the throttle with no fear of a stuff.

I think how the transom plate is fitted into the hull has something to do with this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by miker1 View Post
    on the test day I warmed the ski up and then went Full throttle. Well I quickly hit the limiter and held back a little to go full throttle again , limiter again held back a little and went again It hit the limiter and then turned and chucked me off.
    This is definitely what caused the stuff.... on limiter 8900 rpm, let off, on again, let off.....STUFFF!!!!
    but this is no excuse. You should be able to do this on a properly setup ski.

I'm confident you're going to find your issue the the transom plate/ride plate geometry

Isn't that just the definition of overstuffing? I know there is a speed limit to the stock pumps, but I doubt 83mph is it.

Jerry thanks for the reply I was hoping you would. My pump was hanging just below the little tabs before the reseal and I pushed the pump so that it sits right and hard against the tabs with no gab. I did the same on my Fx and it seemed to pick up speed but since I have done it on my fz it has just never felt rifgt

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information